Certificate in Advanced Global Leadership
The Certificate in Advanced Global Leadership Certificate is designed for professionals and graduate students from all disciplines, regardless of location, who want to prepare themselves and their organizations to excel in today’s competitive global environment.
San Jose State University, led by the Global Leadership Advancement Center, is internationally known for our Global Leadership curriculum, research initiatives and innovative training programs.
The three-course (9 semester unit) program is taught by innovative master teachers with global backgrounds from SJSU’s Lucas Graduate School of Business. You will learn to work more effectively across cultural and organizational boundaries and to develop crucial global leadership competencies personally, and in organizations.
Classes feature guest lectures by top researchers and experienced global leaders from around the world to ensure the right balance between theory and practice.
The following courses are delivered in intensive eight-week sessions:
- BUS 262A Global Leadership & Innovation (Fall 2017, second 8 weeks, starting mid-October, in person or online)
- BUS 268 Managing Across Cultures (Spring 2018, second 8 weeks, starting early March, in person or online)
- BUS262B Global Leadership Development (Spring 2018, first 8 weeks, starting late January, in person or online)
The courses can be taken in any order.
You can take the courses online when offered or, if you live in the Bay Area, we recommend that you take some of the classes online and others in person (a hybrid format) at the Global Leadership Laboratory, an innovative assessment center that operates within our Lucas Business Complex in nearby Santa Clara. You will take courses on the SJSU campus, as well. Classes rotate between both locations during weeknights and on weekends.
You will need to complete all three courses with an overall minimum GPA of 3.0 (B), with no course grade less than a C (2.0). Only three units of coursework with a grade of C can count toward the certificate. A C- grade or below in any class is considered failing.
You must complete all three courses at SJSU to earn the Certificate in Advanced Global Leadership.
Please note: San Jose State University cannot issue an I-20 to secure an F-1 visa to enter or remain in the United States to enroll in the courses in person.
Under these circumstances applicants should plan to complete the Certificate 100% online from his/her location outside of the United States.
Educated Within the United States
You must have completed a four-year bachelors degree from an accredited college or university in the United States.
Your GPA should be 2.75 or better (on a 4.0 scale). There is no conditional admission to the certificate program.
Educated Outside the United States
If you earned your degree from a higher education institution outside the United States, you must take an English-language proficiency exam. You must hold the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's degree from a recognized institution if you earned your degree outside the United States. SJSU does not accept classes taught in English as a substitute for an English-language proficiency exam.
The Certificate in Global Leadership requires a minimum score of:
TOEFL (internet-based): 80, or
IELTS: 7.0, or
Pearson’s Test of English (PTE): 68
Letters from applicants or institutions will NOT be accepted.
SJSU will consider waiving this requirement if you:
- Received a bachelor's or master’s degree from an accredited U.S. institution
- Received a bachelor's or master’s degree from an accredited institution for which English is the official and primary language of that country
- Completed three years of full time coursework in an accredited U.S. institution
- $2,550 for each three-unit course
- $7,650 total cost
The above costs do not include books, supplies, etc. Tuition fees are subject to change.
Back to Top
If you are currently an MBA student at SJSU, you may register for your classes through MySJSU as an MBA elective.
For non-SJSU students, please review the following:
Back to Top
1. View the upcoming schedule.
2. Submit the Pre-Screening Form as early as possible.
3. We will evaluate your form and notify you of the results.
If you are notified that you are eligible, please continue to Registration Instructions (below).
You must submit appropriate documentation to verify that you have met the requirements of the program. An unofficial transcript showing your degree and final GPA is required prior to enrolling in your first class. Upload your transcript via the pre-screening form or email it to email@example.com.
*You only need to complete the pre-screening process once, but will be required to submit the registration form prior to each class.
Educated within the United States
1. Complete the Registration Form (pdf) for each term. If you take two classes during the term, you do not need to register for both at the same time.
Please scan or take a picture of the form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org at least one week prior to the beginning of the class you wish to take. This is a standardized form that is processed by a different SJSU office. Therefore, you may notice that the form repeats many of the questions you were asked during pre-screening. We apologize for the repetitive steps and appreciate your cooperation.
2. The Lucas Graduate School of Business will screen your form and forward it to the Registrar's Office.
3. You will be notified by email when you are officially registered in the course. We will give you your SJSU ID number, as well as the due date for your tuition fees.
4. Pay the tuition fee, which runs $2,550 per three-unit class. See the Registration Form for payment methods.
5. If you have any questions, please contact the program director.
Educated Outside of the United States
If you were educated outside the United States, you must apply for the Advanced Global Leadership Certificate through calstate.edu/apply. Based on your background, you may be required to take an English-language proficiency exam (TOEFL, IELTS or PTE). Your application to begin classes in the fall semester must be submitted by May 31, and your application to begin classes in the spring semester must be submitted by November 1. After your application is approved, you will receive instructions for registration.
If you have questions, please contact Program Director Dr. Joyce Osland at email@example.com. Please specify GL Certificate in the subject line.
- Thursdays: 1/25, 2/1, 2/8, 2/15 (online), 2/22, 3/1, 3/8, 3/15 at Lucas Business Complex, Santa Clara 6:00 PM - 10:00 PM
- Saturday: 3/17 at Lucas Business Complex, Santa Clara 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Class Number: 29670
- Tuesdays: 3/20, 4/3, 4/10, 4/17, 4/24, 5/1, 5/8, 5/15 at Lucas Busines Complex, Santa Clara 6:00 PM - 10:00 PM
- Saturday: 4/14 at Lucas Business Complex, Santa Clara 2:00 PM - 6:00 PM
- Saturday: 5/12 at the SJSU Main Campus, BBC 323 2:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Class Number: 29671
*Fees are subject to change.