Instructions for Domestic Applicants
For the purpose of admission, domestic applicants are all U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and all visa holders (example H1b, H4, refugee, etc.) that are not applying for or currently hold an F-1 or J-1 visa.
MBA, MS in Accountancy and MS in Taxation Programs
Complete your application online at calstate.edu/apply
After choosing San Jose State and the term you are applying for, when selecting "source" select the following:
- Early Career MBA: Campus > Business Administration (Early Career MBA)
- MBA for Professionals: Extended Education > Business Administration (Special Session)
- MSA: Campus > Accountancy
- MST: Extended Education > Taxation (Special Session)
- MSTM: Extended Education > Transportation Management (Special Session)
If you initially choose the incorrect selection for "source", go to the "source" drop down menu and select "source" and then both selections will appear again to choose from.
You will receive an important email from GAPE (Graduate Admissions) in 7-10 business
days which will include your nine digit San Jose State ID and instructions on how
to set up your SJSUONE account. If you do not receive your ID within that time period,
contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your full name, birth date, and mailing address for identity verification
Submit your official transcripts to GAPE
For transcripts from institutions in the United States and Canada:
• Collect your official transcripts (in sealed envelopes)
• Please include your assigned nine-digit SJSU ID# on the requested
transcripts. Submit one transcript from ALL higher education institutions attended
(even if you did not get your degree) to the Graduate Admissions and Program
Evaluations Office by email, mail, or in-person. All transcripts must be sealed and
unopened in order to be accepted as official documents. COPIES OF TRANSCRIPTS
OR OPENED TRANSCRIPTS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Please email or mail transcripts to:
E-Transcripts should be sent to email@example.com
San Jose State University – Graduate Admissions
One Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192-0017
For transcripts or a degree earned outside of the United States or Canada
• Graduate Admissions (GAPE) requires that you submit a WES document by
document (Basic or ICAP) evaluation. You may find an application and directions
on the WES (World Education Services) website located
at https://www.wes.org/. When completed, WES will submit a
copy of your transcripts, degree, and credential evaluation directly to GAPE
electronically. Transcripts sent directly to GAPE will not be considered for
Check your MySJSU account frequently to review the items on your "to do" list and to monitor the status of your application. Your MySJSU account is the first and best place for information on your application status with GAPE. SJSU communicates almost entirely by messages with important and timely notices on admission, fees, financial aid, testing, transcript information, and deadlines. Department requirements are not listed on MySJSU.
Absolute Document Deadlines for Fall
- March 20th for the MS in Accountancy program
- May 20th for the MS in Taxation program
- May 20th for the Early Career MBA and MBA for Professionals programs
Absolute Document Deadlines for Spring
- November 1 for the MS in Taxation program
- November 20 for the MBA for Professionals
- November 20 for the MS in Accountancy program
Lucas School's Program Specific Required Items:
The documents below should be sent directly to the Lucas Graduate School at
Documents should be emailed as last name_document type (i.e. smith_GMAT)
- GMAT/GRE score - Be sure to indicate San Jose State University as a score recipient of the exam. This will enable us to access the score on the ETS or GMAT secure website. The GRE school code is 4687. The GMAT or GRE score report can be emailed to the department directly.
- Two letters of reference - (see step 4)
- CPA (MS Tax applications only-in lieu of GMAT/GRE) - confirmation of passing all four parts of the exam or license.
- Statement of Purpose - Include your plans for future occupation or profession, and any additional information that may aid in evaluating your preparation and your aptitude for study in your graduate business program. It should be double spaced and limited to approximately 500 words.
(Please note that these items do not appear on your MySJSU "to do" list)
Step 4: Letters of reference
Required for the MSA, Optional for the MBA and MS Tax.
- Two letters of reference from either faculty members and/or current or former employers. The Lucas School does not have a standard recommendation form.
- We ask that each recommender submit their letter on either University or Company letterhead. Please include contact information.
- The recommendation letter should contain information about you that the Admissions Committee would not otherwise know by reviewing the basic University application. The recommender's insights could include information about your ability to succeed in a rigorous program such as this, your leadership ability, maturity, motivation and possibly a character trait that would benefit you while attending the program. Citing examples that demonstrate the above would be helpful.
- Send to: firstname.lastname@example.org