Instructions for International Applicants
MBA, MS in Accountancy, and MS in Taxation Programs
Complete the international application online at calstate.edu/apply:
After choosing San Jose State and the term you are applying for, when selecting "source" select the following:
- Early Career MBA: Campus > Business Administration (Early Career MBA)
- MBA for Professionals: Extended Education > Business Administration (Special Session)
- MSA: Campus > Accountancy
- MST: Extended Education > Taxation (Special Session)
- MSTM: Extended Education > Transportation Management (Special Session)
If you initially choose the incorrect selection for "source", go to the "source" drop down menu and select "source" and then both selections will appear again to choose from.
Step 2: GAPE & MySJSU
You will receive an important email from GAPE (Graduate Admissions) in 7-10 business
days which will include your nine digit San Jose State ID and instructions on how
to set up your SJSUONE account. If you do not receive your ID within that time period,
contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your full name, birth date, and mailing address for identity verification
Once you access your MySJSU account, you will be able to check the status of your applications.
After receiving your ID, submit your official transcripts to GAPE
For transcripts from institutions in the United States and Canada:
Collect your official transcripts (in sealed envelopes)
Please include your assigned nine-digit SJSU ID# on the requested
Submit one transcript from ALL higher education institutions attended
(even if you did not get your degree) to the Graduate Admissions and Program
Evaluations Office by email, mail, or in-person. All transcripts must be sealed and
unopened in order to be accepted as official documents.
COPIES OF TRANSCRIPTS OR OPENED TRANSCRIPTS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Please email or mail documents to:
E-Transcripts should be sent to email@example.com
San Jose State University – Graduate Admissions
One Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192-0017
For transcripts or degrees and credentials earned outside of the United States and
Graduate Admissions (GAPE) requires that you submit a WES document by
document (Basic or ICAP) evaluation. You may find an application and directions on
the WES (World Education Services) website located
When completed, WES will submit a copy of your transcripts, degree, and credential evaluation directly to GAPE electronically. Transcripts sent directly to GAPE will not be considered for admission.
Check your MySJSU account frequently to review the items on your "to do" list and to monitor the status of your application. Your MySJSU account is the first and best place for information on your application status. SJSU communicates almost entirely by messages with important and timely notices on admission, fees, financial aid, testing, transcript information, and deadlines.
GAPE will place additional requirements on your "to do" list, these items will include:
- Copy of your passport and visa
- TOEFL or IELTS or Academic PTE (scores within the prior 2 years)
- Bank letter or statement
- Declaration of Finance (The Declaration must reflect at least the amounts below):
- MS in Accountancy $53,461
- MS in Taxation $35,805
- Early Career MBA $45,469
- MBA for Professionals $39,495
- Certificate in Accounting Fundamentals $14,874
For more information, refer to the GAPE Steps to International Admission page.
Step 3: Program Requirements:
(Please note that these items do not appear on your MySJSU "to do" list)
- Test scores: GMAT/GRE - Indicate San Jose State University as a score recipient of the exam. This will enable us to access the score on the ETS or GMAT secure website. The GRE school code is 4687. See prospective student page(s) to determine waiver criteria.
- Statement of Purpose - Include your plans for future occupation or profession, and any additional information that may aid the Admissions Committee in evaluating your preparation and your aptitude for study in your graduate business program. It should be 1.5 pages double spaced and limited to approximately 500 words.
- These documents should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 4: Letters of recommendation
Required for the MS in Accountancy
Optional for the MBA and MS in Taxation
- Two letters of recommendation from either faculty members and/or current or former employers. The Lucas School does not have a standard recommendation form.
- We ask that each recommender submit their letter on either University or Company letterhead. Please include contact information.
- The recommendation letter should contain information about you that the Admissions Committee would not otherwise know by reviewing the basic University application. The recommender's insights could include information about your ability to succeed in a rigorous program such as this, your leadership ability, maturity, motivation and possibly a character trait that would benefit you while attending the program. Citing examples that demonstrate the above would be helpful.
- All letters of recommendation should be emailed to: email@example.com
Fall Document Deadlines for Lucas Graduate School of Business
- November 20th for the MS in Accountancy
- May 20th for the Early Career MBA, MBA for Professionals, and the MS in Taxation programs.
Spring Document Deadlines for Lucas Graduate School of Business
- November 1 for the MS in Taxation program
- November 20 for the MBA for Professionals program