- Does the MSA program require a specific undergraduate degree for admission?
- Are there prerequisite courses?
- Is an internship required?
- How do I secure an internship?
- Is there a minimum GPA required for admission?
- GMAT/GRE information and waiver requests.
- Do I need an English language proficiency examination (TOEFL)?
- What do I need to do if I earned my degree outside the U.S.A.?
- Do you admit international students (F-1 visa) to the MSA?
- When will I hear about admission?
- Are there students I can speak with about the program?
- Does the Lucas Graduate School offer scholarships for MSA students?
2. Are there prerequisite courses?
The MSA requires six prerequisite courses completed with an average grade of B or better within the five years prior to enrollment. The first prerequisite course is Introductory Financial Accounting, which must be the equivalent of three semester hours and completed at an institution in the United States. The acceptable course offered at SJSU is Financial Accounting, BUS 20. Many local community colleges offer Financial Accounting on site and online. You may explore these options under the BUS 20 listing at: http://www.sjsu.edu/lcobssc/concentrations/equiv_courses/. You may complete the remaining five prerequisite courses in the summer Certificate in Accounting Fundamentals. These five courses are all upper division and you may not complete them at a community college. If you do not have an accounting background, you should plan to complete a course in financial accounting by May 1.
If you are selected for admission to the MSA for fall 2018 but still need some or all of the prerequisite courses, your offer of admission will be conditional. The condition will be that you successfully complete the required courses in the Certificate in Accounting Fundamentals offered in the summer term.
3. Is an internship required?
No. However, Bus 220K is an optional three-unit practicum scheduled during the spring semester. The course is an integral part of the MSA program because it provides you with an invaluable internship and practical experience. Therefore, all students admitted to the MSA program should be eligible to work in the United States.
↑ Back to Top
4. How do I secure an internship?
The MSA program staff will support and assist you in finding an internship. But, ultimately, your skills and the impression you make during the interview process will help you land an internship. The MSA program cannot guarantee that all students will be offered an internship.
5. Is there a minimum GPA required for admission?
Ideally, your GPA should be at 3.0 or above for admission to the MSA program. The last 60 units or 90 quarter units are used to calculate your GPA. An absolute minimum GPA of 2.5 is required for graduate admission at SJSU.
6. GMAT/GRE information and waiver requests.
The GMAT or GRE is just one part of your profile. Scores at the 50th percentile in both the quantitative and verbal sections of the exam are considered competitive. We highly encourage you to prepare for the exam, take it as early as possible and retake it if you do not score competitively. Additional details about the GMAT/GRE requirement and conditional waiver criteria are outlined on our admissions page
↑ Back to Top
7. Do I need an English language proficiency examination (TOEFL)?
If you graduated from a higher education institution in a country where the primary language is not English, you will need to take an English-language proficiency exam. The MSA program requires a minimum score of 90 on the internet-based TOEFL, 7.5 on the IELTS or 75 on the PTE. (Please note that these scores are higher than the minimum scores required by SJSU, which are 80 on the internet-based TOEFL, 6.5 on the IELTS or 53 on the PTE).
SJSU does not accept English-medium of instruction as a substitute for an English-language proficiency exam.
We can waive the examination if you have:
- Received a bachelors or masters degree from an accredited U.S. institution.
- Received a bachelors or masters degree from an accredited institution for which English is the official and primary language of that country.
- Completed three years of full time coursework in an accredited U.S. institution.
8. What do I need to do if I earned my degree outside the U.S.A.?
Graduate Admissions requires a World Education Services document-by-document evaluation for all transcripts and degrees earned outside the United States, (Basic or ICAP). This applies to all applicants with international credentials, both domestic and foreign, with the exception of Canada. WES is a non-profit organization that conducts research on international education and trends and provides expert credential evaluation services. You can find an application and directions on the WES website.
↑ Back to Top
9. Do you admit international students (F-1 visa) to the MSA?
There are specific circumstances that allow us to admit international students to the MSA. Please read the linked information carefully before submitting an application. http://www.sjsu.edu/lucasgsb/programs/msa/prospective/internationalapplicants/index.html
12. Does the Lucas Graduate School offer scholarships for MSA students?
Once you’re enrolled, the Lucas Graduate School’s MSA programs coordinator will alert you about scholarship opportunities as they arise. You may also visit the Financial Aid and Scholarship section of our website more information on SJSU scholarship opportunities as well as the types of financial aid available to graduate students. To be considered for financial aid students must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid application. Please refer to their website for important filing dates.
↑ Back to Top