Prospective MSA Students
If you plan to become a CPA and want to live and work as a professional accountant in Silicon Valley, you will not find a better program than ours. The MSA program consists of 30 units offered in an accelerated format, which you can complete in two to three full-time semesters. Admission is offered each fall semester. Please see the MSA FAQ for details on admission requirements, English language proficiency and more.
Admission to the MSA program is offered each fall semester. These requirements are for ALL students and include:
- Four-year bachelors degree (any major) from an accredited U.S. college or university or an equivalent degree
from a recognized institution outside the United States.
- For transcripts or degrees earned outside of the United States and Canada: Graduate Admissions (GAPE) requires that you submit a WES (Basic or ICAP) evaluation. Directions are available on the WES (World Education Services) website, https://www.wes.org/.
- 3.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale, last 60 semester/90 quarter units.
- GMAT or GRE: Scores at the 50th percentile in both the verbal and quantitative sections of the exam. Conditional
on approval of the MSA Director, SJSU students who achieve a 3.5 GPA in upper division prerequisite courses 2 through 6 below can
be granted a waiver from the GMAT/GRE requirement. For consideration of the GMAT/GRE waiver, you MUST complete the CSU application and the waiver request which requires you to attach documentation.
The seven prerequisite courses are:
Introductory Financial Accounting (lower division course, gateway to upper division courses 2-6)
Intermediate Financial Accounting I
Intermediate Financial Accounting II
Accounting Information Systems
Management Accounting and Control Systems
Taxation of Individuals and Flow-Through Entities
Statistics (lower division course)
- English Language Proficiency exam may be required if you have earned your degree outside of the United States. You may select one of these exams:
- TOEFL score of 90 or higher (IBT)
- IELTS score of 7.5 or higher
- Personal statement
- Two letters of recommendation
For detailed information on prerequisite requirements please select the link below that most closely matches your profile.I have an accounting degree or concentration earned from a U.S. institution
I have an accounting degree or concentration earned from an institution outside of the U.S.
I have no accounting courses
We accept applications for admission once a year in the fall only. Applications open on October 1st. We encourage you to apply early and closely monitor the progress of your application.
Applications open October 1, 2018 & close November 1, 2018
Document Deadline – November 20, 2018
Applications open October 1, 2018 & close March 1, 2019
Document Deadline – March 20, 2019
For your convenience, please use the tailored step-by-step application and document submission instructions below. These include the guidelines for your personal statement, letters of reference and exam scores. Choose the link below that applies to you:
International Applicants (F-1 visa)
*Please read the linked information carefully before submitting an application for Fall 2019
- Program Type: Full-time
- Completion Time: 2 semesters
- Courses to complete degree: 10 courses (30 units)
- Schedule: Day and evening classes
- International Students F-1 Visa: Yes
- Admission: Fall
- Location: SJSU main campus
- Estimated Costs: $17,255 for CA residents and $29,135 for non-residents and international students