Admission Requirements for MBA
- A four year Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in the U.S. or the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution if the degree was earned outside of the U.S.
- An applicant’s grade point average should be 3.0 or better (on a 4.0 scale) in the last 60 semester/90 quarter units of study. An absolute minimum of a 2.5 is required for graduate admission consideration at San Jose State University.
- English Language Proficiency: Applicants who have earned a degree from a higher education institution outside
of the United States must take an English-language proficiency exam. You must score
a minimum of 80 on the internet-based TOEFL, 7.0 on the IELTS, or 68 on the PTE. SJSU
does not accept English-medium of instruction as a substitute for an English-language
proficiency exam such as TOEFL, IELTS, or the Pearson’s Test of English. Letters from
applicants or institutions will NOT be accepted. Requests to waive this requirement
will only be considered under the following circumstances:
- Received a Bachelor's or Master's degree from an accredited U.S. institution.
- Received a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree from an accredited institution for which English is the official and primary language of that country.
- Completed 3 years of full time coursework in an accredited U.S. institution.
- GMAT or GRE - A total GMAT score of 550 or better is competitive, including scores equal to or above the 50th percentile on both the quantitative and verbal sections of the exam. For the GRE, a comparable score is 151 in Verbal Reasoning and 152 in Quantitative Reasoning.
- Statement of Purpose
- Letters of Recommendation (optional) For certain candidates these may be requested.
Principles of Macroeconomics; Principles of Microeconomics; and Business Statistics are the three prerequisite courses required for admission to all the MBA programs. Each course must be completed with grade of B or higher by the date scheduled for MBA Orientation. (Mid-August for Fall admission and December 15th for Spring admission.) Please note that the prerequisite courses will be waived only for individuals who have completed these courses within the last seven years and have earned a grade of B or higher.
Applicants are required to retake these courses if they have:
- Completed these courses more than seven years ago.
- Earned a grade lower than a B.
To see a list of equivalent courses from local community colleges, please visit this
For the prerequisites we also recommend:
- Straighterline - http://www.straighterline.com/ (online, self-paced http://www.straighterline.com/online-college-courses/business/)
- UC Santa Cruz Extension - http://www.ucsc-extension.edu/business
Applicants are advised to plan accordingly to complete these courses; documentation will be required. Applicants who are offered admission prior to the completion of all three prerequisite courses will be conditionally admitted to the Lucas MBA.
If you have any questions about our MBA programs or the admission requirements we encourage you to review the MBA FAQ, attend one of our information sessions, or contact us at email@example.com. Connecting to our department can be an essential step in your MBA decision making process.
SJSU Gary J. Sbona Honors Students
Students who successfully complete the SJSU College of Business Gary J. Sbona Honors Program are granted a waiver for the GMAT/GRE requirement for the application to the Lucas MBA programs, provided they meet the following conditions:
- Graduate from the Gary J. Sbona Honors Program, as verified by the Program Director.
- Apply for admission in the Lucas MBA programs within five years of the graduation date.