Admission Requirements for MBA
- A four year Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in the U.S. or the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution if the degree was earned outside of the U.S.
- An applicant’s grade point average should be 3.0 or better (on a 4.0 scale) in the last 60 semester/90 quarter units of study. An absolute minimum of a 2.5 is required for graduate admission consideration at San Jose State University.
- English Language Proficiency: Applicants who have earned a degree from a higher education institution in which
the primary language of instruction was not English, must take an English language
proficiency exam. You must score a minimum of 80 on the internet-based TOEFL, 7.0
on the IELTS, or 68 on the PTE. The examination can be waived if the applicant has:
- Earned a bachelor’s or master’s degree from an accredited U.S. institution.
- Completed 3 years of full time study in a U.S. institution.
- GMAT or GRE - A total GMAT score of 550 or better is competitive, including scores equal to or above the 50th percentile on both the quantitative and verbal sections of the exam. For the GRE, a comparable score is 151 in Verbal Reasoning and 152 in Quantitative Reasoning.
- Statement of Purpose
- Letters of Recommendation (optional) For certain candidates these may be requested.
Principles of Macroeconomics; Principles of Microeconomics; and Business Statistics are the three prerequisite courses required for admission to all the MBA programs. Each course must be completed with grade of B or higher by the date scheduled for MBA Orientation. (Mid-August for Fall admission and December 15th for Spring admission.) Please note that the prerequisite courses will be waived only for individuals who have completed these courses within the last seven years and have earned a grade of B or higher.
Applicants are required to retake these courses if they have:
- Completed these courses more than seven years ago.
- Earned a grade lower than a B.
To see a list of equivalent courses from local community colleges, please visit this link: http://www.sjsu.edu/bsac/concentrations/equiv_courses/
For the prerequisites we also recommend:
- Straighterline - http://www.straighterline.com/ (online, self-paced http://www.straighterline.com/online-college-courses/business/)
- UC Santa Cruz Extension - http://www.ucsc-extension.edu/business
Applicants are advised to plan accordingly to complete these courses; documentation will be required. Applicants who are offered admission prior to the completion of all three prerequisite courses will be conditionally admitted to the Lucas MBA.
If you have any questions about our MBA programs or the admission requirements we encourage you to review the MBA FAQ, attend one of our information sessions, or contact us at email@example.com. Connecting to our department can be an essential step in your MBA decision making process.
SJSU Gary J. Sbona Honors Students
Students who successfully complete the SJSU College of Business Gary J. Sbona Honors program, and satisfy the requirements for graduating with honors, are admitted directly to the SJSU Conventional MBA program, thus waiving the GMAT/GRE requirement, provided they meet the following requirements:
- Graduate with Honors from the Gary J. Sbona Honors Program, which requires the following:
- Complete two semesters in the program
- Write a scholarly paper Have a GPA of 3.5 or higher in their major (all upper division business classes)
- However, for admission to the Conventional MBA program, attain a GPA of 3.75 or higher in their major (all upper division business classes)
Eligibility to apply to the Conventional MBA program extends for two years beyond the students’ graduation date.