Open University - MBA
Open University allows qualified students who are NOT enrolled in a program at SJSU
to take a class if there is space available. Open University enrollment in MBA courses
is not a substitute for admission to the MBA program.
Open University may be appropriate for some students who are interested in taking a few specific courses to improve their business skills and are not interested in earning a graduate degree. In order to enroll in MBA courses through Open University, a student must obtain prior approval from the MBA Director AND the course instructor.
- In order to be eligible for MBA Open University enrollment, a student must satisfy the following requirements:
- Completion of a degree equivalent to a four-year U.S. Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university with a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Completion with a grade of B or better of the following prerequisite courses within
the last seven years (click here for more information on prerequisite courses).
- Principles of Macroeconomics
- Principles of Microeconomics
- Business Statistics
- Students who have been denied admission to any SJSU graduate program are not eligible to enroll in graduate courses at SJSU via Open University.
- Enrollment in Open University MBA courses is only available for Executive-Style MBA (ESMBA) elective courses. Open University students cannot enroll in ESMBA core courses.
- Students who complete ESMBA courses through Open University and decide at a later time to apply for the MBA program, are held to the same admission standards and requirements as any other MBA applicant.
In order to apply for enrollment in ESMBA courses through Open University, students must first be reviewed and deemed eligible by the MBA Director. The course instructor can then approve enrollment at the first class meeting. Students who meet the requirements for Open University MBA enrollment must complete these steps:
- Consult the ESMBA class schedule.
- Submit the completed pre-screening form at least two weeks before the beginning of the session for which you seek enrollment. The pre-screening form can be found here: https://sjsu.qualtrics.com//SE/?SID=SV_a4UVTlD8RYRJInX.
- Once the Pre-Screening form has been evaluated by the MBA Director you will be notified of the results. If you are notified that you are eligible, please continue to Registration Instructions.
- Complete the registration form and bring it with you to the first class meeting. The Lucas School will notify the instructor that you have been authorized to enroll in the class.
- If the instructor permits you to add the class, he or she will sign and collect the form. There is NO PRE-REGISTRATION. You must attend the first day.
- Completed forms will be screened by the Lucas Graduate School of Business and then forwarded to the Registrar's Office.
- You will be notified by email when you are officially registered in the course and given your SJSU ID number, as well as the due date for your fees.
- Pay your fees. Fees are $2550 per three unit class ($850 per unit). Please be sure to view the drop/refund policy in the ESMBA class schedule.
- If you have questions, please contact the MBA Programs Coordinator via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Classes are held at 2933 Bunker Hill Lane, Suite #120, Santa Clara.