The MAE Department mission is:
To serve society, the public sector, and private industry by:
- Providing undergraduate and graduate Mechanical and Aerospace engineering education that prepares students with the knowledge, modern applications, and lifelong learning skills required to serve the engineering profession and industry.
- Contributing to the development and application of knowledge through faculty scholarship
- Preparing students for the modern professional-practice environment
- Strong foundation beyond the undergraduate level in their chosen focus area as well as in mathematics, basic science and engineering fundamentals, to successfully compete for technical engineering positions in the local, national and global engineering market, advance in their current position or pursue doctoral studies.
- Contemporary professional and lifelong learning skills to be able to apply theory to solve practical engineering problems.
- Provide the expertise necessary to work in the analysis and design of mechanical or
aerospace engineering systems with possible specialization in areas such as:
Mechanical Engineering: Energy Systems, Electronics Cooling, Electronics Packaging & Reliability, Finite Element Analysis and CAD, Mechatronics & MEMS, Product Design, Robotics & Manufacturing.
Aerospace Engineering: Aircraft Design, Spacecraft Systems, Space Transportation & Exploration.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to write engineering reports.
- The ability to perform research and work independently to solve open-ended problems in mechanical and aerospace engineering.
Mission and Goals of San Jose State University
San Jose State University is a major comprehensive public university located in the city of San José and in the heart of Silicon Valley, the world's center of innovation. Its distinctive character has been forged by its long history, by its location, and by its vision - a blend of the old and the new, of the traditional and the innovative. Among its most prized traditions is a commitment to offer access to high-quality higher education to all persons who meet the criteria for admission. The result is a diverse student community whose members are from various age groups, cultures, and economic backgrounds; and a faculty dedicated to teaching and learning.
The mission of the University is to enrich the lives of its students, to transmit knowledge to its students along with the necessary skills for applying it in the service of our society, and to expand the base of knowledge through research and scholarship. It emphasizes the following goals for both undergraduate and graduate students:
- in-depth knowledge of a major field of study
- broad understanding of the sciences, social sciences, humanities, and the arts skills in communication and in critical inquiry
- multi-cultural and global perspectives gained through intellectual and social exchange with people of diverse economic and ethnic backgrounds
- active participation in professional, artistic, and ethnic communities, responsible citizenship and an understanding of ethical choices inherent in human development
We are a learning community that empowers its students to better the world through innovative applications of engineering knowledge and skills.
Our vision for the College is to provide our students and our faculty, through a community of scholarship and life-long learning, the opportunities and tools needed to succeed in their endeavors to bring technological innovation to bear on problems from a global perspective. We intend to focus our energies on instilling in our students a passion for learning and a framework for its beneficial application.
The College of Engineering has the mission of providing an empowering educational opportunity to students for their technical professional and social development in a competitive and dynamic global society.
We will accomplish this by building a vibrant community of students, faculty, staff and industry professionals through strategic collaborations with alumni, and Silicon Valley, California, national, and global partners.