News and Events
Upcoming events 2016-2017
Politics and Community: A Dialogue with the Honorable Blanca Alvarado
- When: Wednesday, April 26, 2017, 6-8 p.m.
- Where: SJSU, Student Union Theater
- Reserve Your Free Ticket @ https://tinyurl.com/lwep9es
Born Out of Struggle:
Critical Race Theory, School Creation and the Politics of Interruption
A conversation with David Stovall, University of Illinois at Chicago (event flyer,pdf)
WHEN: Thursday, April 6 @ 4pm
WHERE: SJSU, Sweeney Hall 331
David Stovall, Ph.D. is a Professor of Educational Policy Studies and African-American Studies at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC). His scholarship investigates four areas: 1) Critical Race Theory, 2) concepts of social justice in education, 3) the relationship between housing and education, and 4) the relationship between schools and community stakeholders. In the attempt to bring theory to action, he has spent the last ten years working with community organizations and schools to develop curricula that address issues of social justice.
Born Out of Struggle offers important lessons about school creation from the ground up. While the story of a 19-day hunger strike serves as the backdrop of the discussion, the focus of this talk will be on concrete examples of the challenges and contradictions of keeping young people, families, and community members central to community control of education. The discussion to follow will explore the relevance of these lessons for students, community, and families, as well as educational leaders & classroom teachers of all subjects & grade levels.
Sponsored by the College of Education and Mexican American Studies
All inquiries should be directed to Marcos Pizarro at firstname.lastname@example.org
- September 21, 2016--Film screening and panel discussion.
- December 14, 2015, Come to listen and get to know the work of our students in MAS 240. The department presents "Cultivating Relationships, Sharing Knowledge, Confronting Institutional Racism: A MAS Community Plática.
- October 14, 2015, The department will be co-hosting an exceptional opportunity to meet and engage with this author for a literary conversation.
Stay updated by checking out our:
Interested in knowing what's going on in MAS?
Join our list-serve via email to keep updated on community events and department news. To join our list-serve send an email to