Changing Your Major to Math

If you are interested in changing your major to math, please fill out the online 'Contact Us" form and request to see an advisor. (We will reply to your email.) After you have talked to an advisor, you need to fill out the change of major form found at the registrar's website and get department approval from Dr. Blockus.


Please note, the requirements to change your major to math are as follows:

  1. A C- or better in Calculus I (Math 30 or Math 30P) or AP credit for Calculus I;
  2. A C- or better in Discrete Math (Math 42);
  3. A 2.0 GPA or higher in all mathematics courses taken, Precalculus (Math 19) and above.


In addition to the requirements above, all transfer students or students wanting to change their major to a BA Math or BS Applied Math degree who have 60+ units will be required to have completed Math 30. 31, 32, and 42 with a grade of C- or better in each course. Math 32 and 42 could be replaced with any other approved upper division course. These students will also be required to have an overall GPA of at least 2.0 in all math courses taken.