There are many opportunities available for graduate students (especially students in PhD programs) once you leave SJSU. Many of them include financial support. Here is a selection of those opportunities:
Department of Energy - Computational Science Graduate Fellowship
The Department of Energy Computational Science Graduate Fellowship (DOE CSGF) program provides benefits and opportunities to students pursuing doctoral degrees in fields of study that utilize high performance computing to solve complex problems in science and engineering. The fellowship includes a 12-week research experience at one of 17 DOE laboratory sites.
- $36,00 yearly stipend
- Payment of all tuition and fees
- yearly conferences
- $5,000 academic allowance in the first year
- $1,000 academic allowance each renewed year
- 12-week research practicum
- renewable up to four years
Apply online at www.krellinst.org/csgf, applications due January 11. 2011
National Science Foundation - Graduate Research Fellowship Program
Since 1952, the National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship program has recognized and supported future leaders in the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics fields. Each year, NSF awards over 2,000 fellowships to outstanding students in these fields.
- $30,000 annual stipend
- $10,500 annual cost of education allowance
- International research and professional development opportunities
Applicants must be U.S. Citizens, nationals or permanent resident aliens and at or near the beginning of graduate studies in an NSF supported field (such as mathematics).
Applications become available in August at the NSF website. Deadline for applications is in November, exact deadline datges vary by field. The fellowship awards are announced in April.
Ford Foundation Fellowship Programs
For Foundation Fellowships are designed to increase the diversity of the nation's college and university faculties by increasing their ethnic and racial diversity, to maximize the educational benefits of diversity, and to increase the number of professors who can and will use diversity as a resource for enriching the education of all students.
- $20,000 stipend plus $2,000 institutional allowance for the predoctoral fellow
- $21,000 dissertation support for one year
- $40,000 postdoctoral support for one year, $1,500 employing institution allowance to be matched by the employing institution.
Application deadlines are in early November. See http://national-academies.org/fellowships for more information and to submit an application.