Majoring in Math

Q: How do I change my major to math?
A: You need to complete the "Change of Major/Minor form" which can be downloaded from the Registrar's website:

The change of major request is subject to department approval and may require approval from AARS.

Q: Are there any requirements if I want to change my major to math?
A: Yes. If you want to change your major to math, you need to have a C- or better in Calculus I (Math 30 or Math 30P) or a score of 3 or higher on the AP Calculus Exam and a C- or better in Discrete Math (Math 42) together with a 2.0 GPA or higher in all math classes taken, Precalculus (Math 19) or above.

Q: What is the hardest part of the major?
A: That depends on whom you ask. What is difficult to you may not be difficult to others. It is generally agreed that Math 108, Math 128A/B, Math 131 A/B are more abstract, more rigorous and more challenging than some other required courses. You should not plan on taking more than one of those in a regular semester. Each of Math 128 and Math 131 can take up as much time as two regular classes.

Q: Should I join the Math Club?
A: Definitely.

Q: How do the different degree programs offered by the Math Department differ and what careers might follow from them?
A: This is a broad question. The title of the degree indicates what it is for but your advisor can enhance your knowledge in this area. Students should discuss career opportunities with their advisors.