Bay Area Mathematics Institutes - These institutes host workshops, conferences, research fellows, public talks, outreach activities to the community and K-12 students and other mathematical endeavors. MSRI has videos of talks and special events.
- American Institute of Mathematics (AIM), Palo Alto, CA
- Mathematical Sciences Research Institute (MSRI), Berkeley, CA
National Professional Organizations - Much valuable information about mathematics and its applications career information, conferences, journals, scholarships, summer activity, can be found at the web sites of various professional organizations.
- The American Mathematical Society (AMS) is an organization devoted to mathematics research and professional mathematicians.
- Student memberships are available at a discounted rate. Visit their student page.
- The American Statistical Association (ASA) website for all sorts of information about statistics as a career and a field of study. Visit their education page for student information.
- The California Mathematics Council (CMC) is a professional organization of educators who are individually and collectively dedicated to the improvement of classroom instruction in mathematics at all levels.
- The Institute for Operations Research and Management Science (INFORMS) has a website that contains lots of information about careers in Operations Research.
- The Mathematical Association of America (MAA) is an organization devoted to undergraduate students and the undergraduate mathematics curriculum. Visit the student page and the web page of the Northern CA, NV and HI section of the MAA.
- The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) is a public voice of mathematics education, providing vision, leadership and professional development to support teachers in ensuring equitable mathematics learning of the highest quality for all students.
- The Society of Actuaries (SOA) has a website and they sponsor a related website http://www.beanactuary.org/ that contains lots of interesting information about careers in actuarial science.
- The Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematicians (SIAM) is devoted to applications of mathematics. Visit the student page. The SJSU Math Department is an institutional members o that graduate students may join SIAM at no charge.