Calculus Placement Exam Information
The Calculus Placement Exam (CPE) is offered to students who want to enroll in Math 30P, Math 30, or Math 71 without having to meet the prerequisites some other way. Note: The CPE does NOT waive the ELM requirement. For more information about the ELM, visit the Developmental Studies website.
- Students who already meet the prerequisites or who want to enroll in Precalculus or College Algebra do not need to take the placement exam - visit the Math Placement and Prerequisites page for more information.
- Students who do not already meet the prerequisites will not be able to enroll in their Calculus I class until they have taken the placement exam.
- Students who took the AP Calculus Exam should refer to the Pre-Requisite Page for more information.
- Students with transfer credit should check the SJSU course articulation agreements to see if their transfer credits satisfy the prerequisites.
- The prerequisite for Math 42 (Discrete Mathematics) can also be satisfied with the CPE if the score earned is sufficient to place a student into Math 30P or Math 30.
Calculus Placement Exams are offered after the last day of a term through the Add Deadline of the following term.
Students requiring accommodations will need to get a test form from the AEC website and schedule a test directly through the Math Department.
CPE Testing Dates
|Saturday, January 27||12 pm - 2 pm||MH 221||Register Online|
**If you need to take the placement test and have a previous commitment that absolutely cannot be changed, we may be able to schedule an individual test. Please send us an email at email@example.com**
How do I register?
Click on the Registration link above for the day you would like to take the test and follow the directions. Note: Online registration ends at 4:00 pm the day before the exam or when all the exam spots have been filled, whichever occurs first. Walk-ins may or may not be permitted depending on available space. Check-in for the test starts 15 minutes before the test starts.
How can I prepare for the test?
An explanation of the material covered on each part of the test and a link to a practice exam can be found on the CPE Preparation page.
What do I need to bring with me?
On the day of the exam you will need to bring your printed confirmation email (electronic versions will not be accepted), photo ID (SJSU Student ID preferred), $20 cash or check, and pencils and/or pens. No calculators are allowed on the test.
Should I bring my calculator?
When do I get my scores?
An email is sent out within 1-2 business days of the test to let you know which class you place into. As soon as you get that email, you will be able to enroll in that class. If you have any issues enrolling, check out the Calculus Enrollment page.
CPE for Incoming Freshmen
- It is strongly recommended that incoming freshmen take their placement exam either before their orientation or on the morning of their orientation so that they will be able to register for the appropriate math classes during orientation registration.
- Freshmen will be able to sign up on the CPE Registration form for the day of their orientation until 7 am the day of orientation, even if that test date is closed to other students. Depending on when the registration is submitted, a confirmation email may not be sent, but the student will still be on the roster for check-in and is expected to attend.
- Students who take the placement exam on the morning of their orientation will be sent a placement email before registration starts in the afternoon. Advisors also receive a list of which courses students placed into to help students enroll in appropriate classes.
- If you have any issues, contact the Math Department Office.