The department hires qualified graduate students as Teaching Associates every semester. Although applications are accepted at any time, it is best to apply for a TA position by the stated deadlines. The deadline for Fall 2017 is June 10, 2017. The deadline for Spring 2018 is Oct 31, 2017.
To be considered for a TA position, you must be admitted as a classified graduate student in the Mathematics and Statistics department. Single Subject credential students in Mathematics are also eligible to apply.
The following documents are required to complete each application.
- Application form (PDF) or Application form (DOCX)
- A brief, typed personal statement. This narrative should include your goals and objectives as a graduate student.
- Completed and signed Statement of Professional Preparation and Experience (SC-1) form. http://www.sjsu.edu/facultyaffairs/docs/SC-1_update_1-23-17.pdf Please do not include your Social Security number on that form. We do not need it yet.
- Transcripts showing all college and graduate courses. For consideration, we will accept unofficial transcripts. But we will need official copies for your employment paperwork.
- Three letters of recommendation, on your behalf, should be sent directly to:
Department of Mathematics and Statistics
San Jose State University
San Jose, CA 95192-0103
Note that letters of recommendation may be emailed to the chair but signed originals are needed for your employment paperwork.