BSME Advising

Freshman -- The Engineering Student Success Center will be handling major advising in Fall 2018. Follow this link to start the process of removing your Engr Success Center hold. You may sign up to see an ME advisor if you wish (using the Advising Appointment link below), but the ME advisors cannot remove your advising hold.

If you have an approved major form on file, you do not need to see an advisor to get your advising hold removed. Turn in your completed advising form and an unofficial transcript to the ME office. An advisor will check to make sure you're on track to graduate.

Everyone else: Please book your mandatory Advising Appointment every semester online (sophomores and above).  You may choose any one of the designated department advisors. Make your appointment early in the semester to beat the rush!  If you cannot make your appointment for any reason, cancel as early as possible! Answers to Frequently Asked Questions can be found online in a searchable format.

When you come for your advising appointment, make sure to bring the following:

  • advising form (filled out as much as possible)
  • unofficial transcript

To apply for graduation (generally 15 months before graduation), check out the resources that can be found here.

Check out our updated list of technical electives. You need two electives (6 units). Non-ME electives should be approved by an advisor. Typically only one non-ME elective will be approved.

If you have specific questions about General Education classes, it's best to visit the Engineering Student Success Center. Go here if you took a class elsewhere and need to have it approved for equivalency to a technical SJSU class. If your class is already shows up as equivalent on, you do not need an equivalency form.

You may email an ME major advisor at

MSME Advising

Please book your mandatory Advising Appointment every semester with Dr. Agarwal. 

You can find many important form for graduate students on the GAPE website.
Information specific for international students (both BS and MS) can be found on the International Student Advising page, including important forms.

Check out our MSME website for information specific to the Mechanical Engineering program. Important information for current students, including a tentative class schedule for the next several semesters, can be found here.

Change of Major (Undergraduate)

If you are interested in changing your major to Mechanical Engineering, please check out the following links first.

If you have fewer than 45 units completed and have not yet completed Math 30 or enrolled in Phys 50 AND you are not currently an engineering major, you will need to meet with an advisor in the Engineering Student Success Center

If you are transferring from a different engineering major or have both completed Math 30 and enrolled in Phys 50 or have more than 45 units, send an email of interest to the ME advising email at  If in doubt, send an email to the ME advising email, and we'll direct you to the right place.

Undergraduate Probation/Disqualification

University Probation/DQ
  • You will be placed on probation with the university if your cumulative GPA in all college work attempted or SJSU coursework falls below a 2.0.
  • Check out the AARS website related to university probation and disqualification to find out the details of the policies.
  • Because ME is impacted (we have more interest from students than we have room), it is very difficult to get readmitted into ME once you have been disqualified from the university. Be proactive so this doesn't happen to you! Contact an advisor by emailing to discuss readmittance to the major.
  • People on probation with the university have a special "probation hold" on their accounts. You will be contacted by the Engineering  Student Success Center with specific steps that you need to take to remove that probation hold before you can register for classes the following semester. You should also limit the number of units you take to 12 (13 if you have a 4-unit class or a workshop) so that you can focus on improving your GPA.
Major Probation/DQ

You can be placed on major probation through two means:

  1. If your GPA in the courses required for the major falls below a 2.0, you will be placed on major probation. Check out the College of Engineering policy about major probation and disqualification
  2. If you receive lower than a C- in ME 101 Dynamics, you will be placed on probation. If you receive lower than a C- a second time, you will be disqualified from the major. Take advantage of instructor office hours and the workshops to help prevent this from happening.

If you are disqualified from the major, your major will be changed to "Undeclared". We will only entertain requests to get back into ME if something outside your control contributed towards your poor performance, such as a documented medical issue. Our hope is that students can find majors that are good fits with their interests and skills before they get too far into their degree programs.