Associate Professor of Meteorology
Director, NASA MIRO Center for Applied Atmospheric Research and Education (CAARE)
- Ph.D., 2003, Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, North Carolina State University
- Over 10 years of experience in data analysis and numerical modeling with emphasis on tropical, mesoscale and urban scale phenomena. My goal is to advance the understanding of fundamental science in the areas of weather and climate change, and their linkages to our environment. My research activities are conducted using many different methods striving to achieve high standards of understanding, depth and completeness.
- Global Climate Change (METR 112, online)
- Remote Sensing (METR 155)
- Numerical Modeling (METR 240)
- Dynamic Meteorology (METR 121)
- Synoptic Weather Analysis and Forecasting (METR 171)
Recent Activities (2013 - present)
Published Papers (* denote names of advised students)
Chih* C.-H., K-H. Chou, and S. Chiao, 2015: The influence of Tropical cyclone structure on eyewall evolution simulation of Typhoon Sinlaku (2008) crossing Taiwan. Terr. Atmos. Ocean. Sci. in press.
Eiserloh*, A. J, and S. Chiao, 2015: Modeling studies of landfalling atmospheric rivers and orographic precipitation over northern California, Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics, 127, 1-16.
Centeno*, D., and S. Chiao, 2015: The Footprints of Saharan Air Layer and Lightning on the Formation of Tropical Depressions over the Eastern Atlantic Ocean, Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics, 127, 17-32.
Jury, M., and S. Chiao, 2014: Representation of Ethiopian wet spells in global and nested models, Advances in Meteorology, vol. 2014, Article ID 237374, doi:10.1155/2014/237374
Chiao, S., and R. Dumais, 2013: Investigations of a down-valley flow event during T-REX 2006, Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics, 122, 75-90. doi: 10.1007/s00703-013-0279-z.
Whitehall*, K., S. Chiao, M. Mayers-Als, 2013: Numerical Investigations of Convective Initiation in Barbados, Advances in Meteorology, vol. 2013, doi:10.1155/2013/630263.
Pelissero*, J., and S. Chiao, 2013: The Impacts of Extratropical Reintensification on North Atlantic Shipping Routes, Met. Apps. doi: 10.1002/met.1410.
PI, "Improved Understanding of the Magnitude of Trans-Pacific Long Range Transported Ozone Aloft at California's Coast", The California Air Resources Board, 2016-2019, $281K.
PI, "Center for Applied Atmospheric Research and Education (CAARE)", NASA/MIRO, 2015-2020, $4630K.
Co-I, "Weather Support for Unmanned Vehicle Systems Traffic Flow Management", NASA, 2-15-2016, 98K.
PI, "Improved Understanding of the Magnitude of Trans-Pacific Long Range Transported Ozone Aloft at California's Coast", RSCA/SJSU, 2015-2016, $5K.
PI, "Implementation of Urbanized Weather Research and Forecasting Model (uWRF) for Bay Area Air Quality Forecast", RSCA/SJSU, 2014-2015, $5K.
PI, "Acquisition of AWIPS II EDEX Server and CAVE Client in a Synoptic Weather and Analysis Classroom", UCAR/Unidata, 2014-2015, $11K.
San Jose State University Department of Meteorology, Duncan Hall 620
Phone: 408.924.5200 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org