Students must meet with their faculty music advisor preceding registration each semester to evaluate their progress toward graduation and to determine their academic schedule for the following semester. Music advisors are:
- BA, all BMus Students except BMusEd - Dr. Kathryn Adduci
- BMusEd Students and Double Majors - Dr. Diana Hollinger
- Graduate Students - Dr. Gordon Haramaki
It is the student's responsibility to arrange an appointment with his or her music faculty advisor. Failure to do so before the registration period begins will result in delayed registration. Additional support is available at the College's Student Success Center. Note that the Degree Progress option on your MySJSU is not equivalent to meeting with your advisor.
In addition, all undergraduate music students must attend the School of Music & Dance advisement meeting held on the first Thursday of each semester during Listening Hour (12:30PM, Concert Hall).
Music advising forms and plans are available on the Forms page, or check in the Music Administrative Office (Music Building, Room 179) or call (408) 924-4673.
All music majors fall within one of the following areas of study. For the name and office number of the faculty member currently coordinating each area, please click on the corresponding area in the table below, or contact the Music Administrative Office (Music Building, Room 179) or call (408) 924-4673. You can also see a list on the Faculty & Staff by Area page.
All music minors should:
• Pick up the minor advisement form in the music office (Music Building, Room 179) or find it under the forms page.
• Make your selections within each required category by consulting the course descriptions in the official SJSU catalog.
• Students with questions should consult with the Associate Director for the Music Department or at the Music Administrative Office (Music Building, Room 179).
• Each music minor must have the minor form signed at least one semester before graduation.
The Recital Space and You
Students must hold a junior and senior recital as part of their music major. Please follow the steps outlined on the Student Recital Checklist in order to properly schedule your concert and reserve performance space. Come to Music Administrative Office to schedule your recital.