General Information 1.6 - 1.10

1.6.            How To Get Through the First Two Weeks at the School of Music & Dance

  • The Schedule of Classes is online at Know which courses required for your specific degree, emphasis and concentration. Make sure you understand all the requirements thoroughly since the ultimate responsibility for graduating is YOURS.
  • Obtain advising sheets for your degree and emphasis or concentration from the School of Music & Dance Forms page, or from the Music Office.
  • Pick up the requirements for piano proficiency from the Coordinator of Piano Studies or see Section 2.9 in this Handbook.
  • Pay your Music Use Fee in the Cashier’s Office in the Student Services Center. Bring the receipt to the Music Office to obtain the Music Use Fee Card that officially enrolls you in the School. Be aware that the card must have the signatures of your adviser, applied lesson instructor, and ensemble director. 

1.7.            Curriculum Advisories (see Forms)

  • Take Music 1AB, 2AB, 3AB, 4AB in sequence. Take the A and B courses together.
  • Take Music 12, 110 and 111 (music history) preferably in sequence, and preferably AFTER Music 1- 3. Music 12 should be taken in the Spring semester of the sophomore year.  Music 110 and 111 should be taken after completing Music 4.
  • Take Upper Division Music Systems/Theory courses (electives) after Music 1AB- 4AB. Transfer students should see the Undergraduate Advisor regarding this process.
  • Those interested in seeking the teaching credential should make an appointment with the Music Education Coordinator. Note that the waiver courses you must take prior to applying for the fifth-year credential program are listed on the emphasis advisement sheets. 

1.8.            Applied Lesson Codes

All Music Majors must complete the following steps before obtaining their lesson and special study registration codes: 

  1. Pick up the Music Use Fee Registration Card from the School office.
  2. Pick up the Applied Music Registration sheet from the School office.
  3. Pay your Music Use Fee at the cashier’s office. Keep the receipt.
  4. Obtain ALL required signatures from the faculty. Applied faculty must sign the Music Use Fee card and Applied Music Registration sheet.
  5. Go to the Music Office with all the above materials, plus the Music Use Fee receipt.
  6. The Music Office will then assign an add code for your applied lessons.
  7. After you have added your class, check your account on-line, then pay for your applied lessons. 

1.9.            School Attendance and Grading Policies

  • A grade below “C-” in any course in the major will not be considered a passing grade, and the course must be repeated. At the end of the semester juries must be passed with a grade of C or better. For undergraduates, the university automatically allows "grade forgiveness" for any grade below a C- that is not repeatable for credit. Upon repeating the course, the first grade is automatically deleted from the student's record.
  • Class attendance is a vital component in a complete musical education; students are expected to attend all meetings of their classes in the music major.
  • Attendance at all rehearsals and performances of ensembles is absolutely mandatory. While each conductor institutes different policies, unexcused absences from rehearsals are unacceptable and carry grave consequences for the student’s grade.

1.10.            School Writing Style

The School of Music & Dance requires students to follow the writing style as outlined in The Chicago Manual of Style.