Applied Music Placement Auditions 2.10 - 2.11
2.10. Keyboard Studies
All applicants must audition in order to be placed and to receive applied lessons. Contact the Program coordinator if you have any questions.
Bachelor of Music, Keyboard Majors
BM applicants must prepare three different works by different composers or from three different style periods for a total of approximately twenty minutes of memorized music.
- Any of the J. S. Bach WTC, book I or II, except Numbers one and eight.
- Any of the Six French Suites or English Partitas, Toccatas by J. S. Bach.
- Any first movement of a sonata by Haydn, Mozart or Beethoven.
- Any piece from Books five or six of Bartok's Mikrokosmos.
- Any of the Brahms Intermezzi.
- Fantastiestucke, Opus 12, Robert Schumann.
- Chopin's Nocturnes, Mazurkas, Polonaises, Ballads.
- Any Romantic Work, e.g. Brahms, Schumann, Chopin.Bachelor of Music, Keyboard Majors
- All other piano applicants should play two pieces chosen from the examples above or comparable pieces with one from memory.
Bachelor of Arts majors are no longer offered applied lessons, unless by audition and by the expressed permission of the Director and on the recommendation of the Coordinator of Keyboard Studies.
2.11. Make-up Audition
Students who miss their performance audition should contact their area coordinator for information on make-up auditions. Make-up auditions might not be scheduled in all areas, in which case the student’s audition would be postponed until the following semester. Therefore, students should make every effort to audition the prior semester.