Advising 3.1 - 3.3
3.1. Music Advisors
All undergraduate students are advised according to degree. Bachelor of Art majors, and all Bachelor of Music degrees with the exception of BM—Music Education majors, are advised by Dr. Brian Belet (fall 2016) and Dr. Kathryn Adduci (spring 2017). BM—Music Education majors are advised by the Music Education Coordinator, Dr. Diana Hollinger.
All new undergraduate students must attend the music advisement meeting held during orientation week: August 25, 2016, 12:30-1:20PM, Concert Hall. and August 30, 2016, 12:30-1:20PM. Note that all students must be advised in order to continue registration in subsequent semesters, as well as to secure guidance regarding programs of study.
The General Education check list may be found here. Please familiarize yourself with your lower- and upper-level GE requirements, and take advantage of the expert advisors in the College of Humanities and the Arts Success Center to help you choose the right courses!
3.2. Area Coordinators
All music majors fall within one of the following areas of study:
- Composition/Electro-Acoustic/Music Technology Dr. Pablo Furman, Coordinator
- Choirs Dr. Jeffrey Benson, Coordinator
- Brass Dr. Kathryn Adduci, Coordinator
- Jazz Studies Dr. Aaron Lington, Coordinator
- Percussion Prof. Galen Lemmon, Coordinator
- Strings Prof. Sarah Jones-Hayes, Coordinator
- Woodwinds Dr. Janet Averett, Coordinator
- Piano Dr. Gwendolyn Mok, Coordinator
- Voice/Opera Dr. Layna Chainakas, Coordinator
- History Dr. Gordon Haramaki, Coordinator
- Music Systems (Theory, Ear-Training) Dr. Brian Belet, Coordinator
- Music Education Dr. Diana Hollinger, Coordinator
- Music TechnologyDr. Pablo Furman, Coordinator
3.3. Music Minors
All Music Minors should:
- Pick up the minor advisement form in the Music Office (Room 179).
- Make your selections within each required category by consulting the course descriptions in the official SJSU Catalog.
- Students with questions should consult with the School of Music and Dance Associate
Director, Dr. Janet Averett.
- Each Music Minor must have the Minor Form completed and signed at least one semester before graduation.