Facilities/Equipment 8.1 - 8.4
8.1. Building Use
The Music Building is open Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. and on weekends, Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Sunday 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Each semester after a student has paid his or her $30 Music Use Fee, a “Music Use Fee Authorization” card will be issued. This card will be honored during regular operating hours.
Use of School of Music & Dance facilities is normally restricted to current SJSU music students. If a group includes both SJSU students and others, an SJSU student in the group must have written permission from the Director of the School of Music & Dance before they can use the facility. Any time a group is using a room in the Music building, at least one current music student with a Music Use Fee Card must be present.
When using the facility be respectful to others. The decibel level must be kept within bounds in order not to interfere with those using nearby rooms. If your practicing is too loud you may be asked to leave the building. Repeated problems will result in loss of practice privileges by the individual or group concerned.
Under no circumstances should outside doors or windows be propped open after the building is locked. This is a serious safety risk and will result in the loss of after-hours privileges for all students.
8.2. Practice and Practice Rooms
Regular daily practice is essential for success in applied music. A minimum of ninety minutes per day of practice is required for adequate progress.
- Practice rooms are available to students on a daily basis between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Practice rooms are available on a “first come, first serve” basis. Music majors have priority.
- Do not put food or drink on the pianos. Ever.
- Do not put paper over the windows of the practice room doors. This creates a safety hazard.
- Students are not allowed to practice in the classrooms or in the hallways.
- A $30 per semester Music Use Fee is required of all students using a practice room.
- Practice rooms 215, 216, 217, 241, and 242 are set aside for the use of piano majors between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. during weekdays. Piano majors will be assigned keys to unlock these instruments by their instructor. Students pay a $25 per year fee to be issued these keys. The U-locks securing these instruments are to be replaced after each practice session.
8.3. Access to the Percussion Studio
Students registered for percussion lessons (private instruction), or who have permission from the percussion instructor may use this room and its equipment. Payment of the Music Use Fee is required to use this facility.
Once you have qualified to use the percussion studio, a key will be checked out to you for the semester. Refer to the section on Key Policy for a detailed description of the process for checking out a key.
8.4. After Hours Swipe Access
After Hours swipe access to the Music Building may be issued only to students who have paid their Music Use Fee for the semester. After Hours access may be issued only to students who are enrolled in a music course that may require access to the building after regular hours of operation (applied music, recording studio, electronic lab, ensemble rehearsals). After Hours passes are issued for specific rooms only. It is the policy of the piano faculty not to permit piano practicing in classrooms.
After Hours access are valid only for one semester, from the first day of classes to the last day of final exams. Students must demonstrate a familiarity with Music Building emergency procedures, including use and location of emergency telephones, before passes will be issued. After Hours access may be revoked for any reason deemed valid by a faculty member.