Facilities/Equipment 8.5 - 8.6

8.5.   Keys and Swipe Card Access

Many music students have legitimate needs to access secure rooms such as piano studios, percussion studios, AE studios, and sometimes, with the faculty member’s approval, even faculty offices. Students are not issued keys to classrooms. Students enrolled in MUSC 167 or MUSC 170 should see Ms. Lucy Yamakawa Cox as soon as possible after classes begin to pay a $25 key deposit (per key) and to be issued swipe card access to Rm. 124 and/or Rm. 226.

Students authorized to be in secure rooms should take the following steps:  

  1. Go to the Music Office or online and fill out a SJSU Key and Building Card Access Request Form, Sections 1-2-3.
  2. Ask the appropriate faculty member to write a memo to the Director, copying Ms. Anita McClintick, authorizing your use of the room, rationale, and the duration of such use (ex:  "Josephine Smith has my permission to request a key for Rm. 200 during the 2015-16 academic year so that she can open the room for my weekly masterclass").
  3. Bring items 1 and 2 to Ms. Wijas in the Music Office.
  4. In most instances, it takes about one week for your key/modified Tower card to be ready. 
  5. At the end of the time period detailed on the Key and Building Card Access Request, keys must be returned. Students will lose their deposit and have a hold be put on their grades for keys not returned in a timely manner.

Room Key Liability:

Each student is responsible for the room key(s) issued. If a key is lost or stolen, the student must notify the School soon as possible. The student must pay for the lost or stolen key(s) and interview with the Director before the reissue of key(s). 

8.6.   Use of Lab Facilities

Do not take food or drink into any lab facility.  Students who do not comply with this rule may lose access to the lab for the remainder of the semester, or longer.

Access to lab facilities are monitored by the faculty member(s) in charge of each lab. 

Labs are limited access rooms and access cards are required for entry. 

Use of labs outside of regular building hours requires instructor permission and permission from the Director of the School.