General Information 1.1 - 1.4
On behalf of the faculty and staff of the School of Music & Dance, it is my pleasure
to welcome you to the San José State University musical family. We are pleased that you have selected San José State to develop your
skills and musicianship. Our mission is to provide excellence in your core musical
training, to help you succeed in your ambition to become a fluent, communicative artist,
and to be a generous resource for our community and University.
Founded in 1857, San José State is the oldest standing public university in the West. We have been preparing
professional performers, composers and music educators longer than any other school
in California. The School of Music & Dance is one of the most comprehensive programs
in the state, taught by talented and dedicated faculty whose primary focus is providing
students with the best possible education available anywhere. Our innovative curriculum
prepares students for twenty-first century success!
San José State’s applied studio faculty include some of this nation’s most gifted artists,
ranging from Metropolitan Opera stars to leading musicians in Bay Area symphonies.
Our Jazz Studies program hosts many of Northern California’s leading jazz musicians.
Award winning SJSU performing ensembles are directed by some of California’s preeminent
conductors. Our ensembles regularly perform at conferences and tour throughout the
West, across the nation, and abroad.
San José State students have successfully continued on to careers as public school
teachers, professional performers, conductors, college and university professors, and
private music teachers. The success of our students and graduates continues to be a
source of great pride for us!
Whatever your career goals may be, San José State has a program for you. Please take a few moments and review the policies and procedures for the School of Music & Dance. Should you need assistance or have any questions, do not hesitate to visit the School of Music & Dance office in Music 179.
Director, School of Music and Dance
1.2 Mission Statement
Music and dance are essential expressions of human experience. The purpose of the School of Music and Dance is to:
- Prepare, inspire, and motivate students for excellence in professional careers in teaching, performance, choreography, composition, research, and related fields;
- Engage a diverse university population in experiences that foster life-long learning and a greater understanding of music and dance;
- Provide and sustain a unique performing arts culture for the university, Silicon Valley, and the greater Bay Area;
- Generate creative activities and scholarship in music and dance that have local, national, and international significance.
1.3. Undergraduate Degrees
- Bachelor of Arts in Music (with Emphasis in General Studies or Emphasis in Music Technology)
- Bachelor of Music in Composition
- Bachelor of Music in Jazz Studies
- Bachelor of Music in Performance
- Bachelor of Music in Music Education
1.4. Music Use Fee
Music majors and minors must pay a Music Use Fee each semester they are enrolled at
San José State University. Other students enrolled in performing ensembles or any
electro-acoustic music course must also pay this fee. The receipt must be brought
to the Music Office before completing our Music Registration Card. Applied music instruction
will not be authorized until this fee is paid. Music 10B students or students enrolled
in any sound recording course must pay the fee semester they are enrolled in one or
more of these classes. These fees are included in the student’s bill with other registration
fees. Check the university website for the latest exact fees.