Clarinets Performing

About the program

The School of Music and Dance offers many ways for woodwind instrumentalists to be involved in music. The curriculum in all concentrations offers a balanced program that includes private instruction with active professionals; music theory and musicianship; music history; solo, chamber, and large ensemble performance; and jazz. Many performance opportunities are available for students, including the University Wind Ensemble, the Symphonic Band, Symphony Orchestra, and Jazz Orchestra as well as Saxophone Ensemble, Flute Choir, Clarinet Choir, and miscellaneous chamber ensembles.

Degrees Offered

  • Bachelor of Arts in Music
  • Bachelor of Music in Performance
  • Bachelor of Music in Music Education
  • Masters of Arts in Music
  • Minor in Music


Audition Information 

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I contact one of the woodwind faculty?

All woodwind faculty may be contacted by e-mail or through the Music Office to set up an introductory lesson.

Are private lessons open to non-music majors?

Private lessons are currently available only to music majors. Music minors may take private lessons only by permission of the Director of the School of Music and Dance.

Do I need to be a music major to perform in a Woodwind Ensemble?

No, all ensembles are open to majors and non-majors by audition.

Can anyone be a music major?

No. All students must audition for placement in the Bachelor of Arts program and for acceptance into the Bachelor of Music and Master of Arts programs. Most music majors already have had extensive experience in their chosen area of music.

Are there scholarships available?

Yes. Awards are based upon performance level and the specific needs of the School. Scholarship auditions are held three times annually on campus. Students who live out of the area may submit a recording for consideration. Contact musicdancerecruitment@sjsu.edu or the Recruitment Office at 408-924-1377 for information on dates. All music majors enrolled in the Spartan Marching Band receive an automatic supplemental scholarship award.

When should I apply for admission to the program?

Apply to the University as early as possible during the fall semester of your last year in high school or junior college. Then contact the Music Office to set up an audition or a scholarship audition.