Frequently Asked Questions
These are the most frequently asked questions about Spring Orientation. Please take a moment to review before calling or emailing us, as most questions are answered below!
- Do I need to attend Spring Orientation?
- How do I sign up for Spring Orientation?
- When will I receive a confirmation of my Spring Orientation date?
- What happens at Spring Orientation?
- What do I need to bring to Spring Orientation?
- Where do I park during Orientation?
- What if I can't attend Orientation?
- What does the Spring Orientation fee pay for?
- What about lodging?
- Do I need to take a placement test?
- Can I bring a friend, sibling, or significant other with me to Spring Orientation?
Yes, attending all activities during your Spring Orientation are required. If you do not attend or leave during any portion, you will be blocked from class registration and will not be able to attend SJSU in Spring 2020.
You will sign up for Orientation in Step 2 of the "Intent to Enroll" process at nextsteps.sjsu.edu. You will need your Student ID Number (9 digits) and PIN (4 digit number that is the month/day of your birthday) to access the site.
Next, follow these steps:
- Select the Friday, January 17, 2020 Spring Orientation date.
- Click Submit (make sure to do this!).
- Print two (2) copies of the Reservation. Keep one for your records and bring one with you to Orientation.
- Follow the link to the online Marketplace to pay your $250 enrollment deposit.
- Register your family members through the family/guest link on the online Marketplace.
A confirmation of payment email will be generated immediately after payment from email@example.com. If you do not see this, please check your junk or spam folder. It will also always be available on your Next Steps account.
This mandatory program shows you all that SJSU has to offer and will:
- Teach you about SJSU traditions
- Introduce you to the many resources available on the SJSU campus
- Welcome you to your new community and home
- Help you be confident about your ability to graduate
Trained Orientation Leaders will:
- Assist you with the class registration process
- Guide you and through educational experiences about campus programs and services
- Assist you in making the transition to college
You should bring:
- Your MySJSU User ID and Password.
- Your 9-digit SJSU ID and 4-digit PIN to log into the Next Steps website.
- Your Orientation Confirmation with barcode from Next Steps.
- In order to make our academic advising and registration process more efficient we are asking students who own a laptop or tablet to bring it to orientation.
- It would also be beneficial to have files of your SJSU admission information including admission letters, grade reports, copies of transcripts from other colleges, placement test scores, financial aid forms, and everything else related to your enrollment.
Parking is available at the South Parking Garage located on the corner of S. 7th Street and E. San Salvador Street, San Jose, CA 95112. You will be provided with parking information when you receive your confirmation letter via your MySJSU portal approximately one (1) week prior to orientation.
Attendance is mandatory. If you do not attend, you will not be able to register for courses for the semester in which you are admitted and will not be able to attend SJSU in Spring 2020. We encourage you to register early and make travel plans around this date.
The student fee pays for:
- Printed material
- All meals
- Building overhead
- Giveaway items
No portion of this fee is optional as students are required to participate in all aspects of the program. This fee is non-refundable.
Overnight accommodations are NOT provided as part of the one-day Spring Orientation program.
SJSU no longer offers placement tests to all students. However, students in majors
requiring calculus or statistics who would like to be placed into more advanced courses
than those allowed by their initial evaluation may request a placement test to demonstrate
a higher level of skill. To learn if you need to take a department placement exam, contact the department that
oversees your degree program (major). View a listing of degree programs and their
departments at http://info.sjsu.edu/home/catalog.html
Many new undergraduates in the College of Science, Engineering and Business may need to take the Calculus Placement Exam prior to registration. For details, exemptions, and other criteria, visit sjsu.edu/math/calculus
Due to space constraints, parents and family members cannot be accommodated at Spring 2020 Orientation.
We do encourage parents and family members to stay connected with us throughout the school year by signing up for our SJSU Parent and Family Portal! The portal will provide you with newsletters, informative posts and allow you to join communities to help you stay informed about what's happening at SJSU and more!