Parent & Family Orientation
Parent and Family Frosh Orientation Program
We welcome parents and family members to attend Sparta Camp to learn more about SJSU and how you can play a supportive role in helping your student succeed. Parent/Family Orientation takes place concurrently with Sparta Camp (2 days) and it is mandatory for your STUDENT to stay overnight. Breakfast, Lunch on day one, Breakfast on day two, and a parking permit code will be provided for you. You will receive a confirmation letter one week prior to your session with more information.
If you would like to attend the Parent/Family Orientation Program, please read the information below.
There is a $90 fee per guest that attends the two day program, which covers the cost of breakfast, lunch, parking, giveaway items, materials, building overhead, and staffing. Click here to view the 2019 Parent and Family Orientation schedule.
You may register for orientation in your student's nextsteps.sjsu.edu portal. Scroll down the homepage and select pay for a parent option. The CASHnet payment receipt is your confirmation of registration. The $90 fee PER parent/guest is non-refundable.
2019 Sparta Camp Session Dates
- Session 1: Tuesday & Wednesday, June 18 & 19, 2019
- Session 2: Tuesday & Wednesday, June 25 & 26, 2019
- Session 3: Tuesday & Wednesday, July 9 & 10, 2019
- Session 4: Friday & Saturday, July 12 & 13, 2019
- Session 5: Tuesday & Wednesday, July 16 & 17, 2019
- Session 6: Tuesday & Wednesday, July 23 & 24, 2019
- Session 7: Tuesday & Wednesday, July 30 & 31, 2019
While at orientation, you will learn and talk about:
- Information on class registration and paying bills
- SJSU traditions and culture
- Academic requirements
- Housing & dining options
- Financial aid & scholarship opportunities
- Health & wellness
- University Police
- SJSU policies & procedures
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act
- Spartan Bookstore
- Campus resources available to both you and our student
- Have an opportunity to meet faculty, staff, current students, and other parents.
Parent and Family Open House
Una Orientación para Padres y Familias
The Parent and Family Open House sessions are intended for parents and family members who are not planning on attending the on-campus orientation with their student. We understand the vital role parents and families play in supporting students and we hope this Open House will help you feel connected to your student's college experience by having an increased understanding of the various support services available to them. Staff from various campus resources will also be present to share information and answer questions.
If you would like to attend one of the Parent and Family Open Houses, please RSVP and read the information below.
Las sesiones de Orientación para Padres y Familias están destinadas a padres y familiares que no pueden asistir a la orientación en el campus con sus estudiantes. Entendemos el papel vital que desempeñan los padres y las familias en el apoyo a los estudiantes y esperamos que nuestra Casa Abierta les ayude a sentirse más conectados con la comunidad de SJSU. Además, el personal de varias oficinas de apoyo universitarias estará presente para compartir información y contestar sus preguntas.
Si desea asistir a una de las casas abiertas para padres y familias, por favor confirme su participación y lea la información a continuación.
RSVP for one of the following dates 5:30pm-8:00pm
Confirme su participacion para a una de las siguientes sesiones
- Thursday, August 8 (Spanish) | Jueves, 8 de agosto (en español)
Overnight Housing & Hotel Accomodations
Overnight accommodations are NOT provided as part of the orientation program for Parents and Families. However, below you will find more information about overnight accomodations in the area.
- San Jose State University Conference Housing
- Overnight Guest Housing is offered for single occupancy, short-term stay in Campus Village Building A, and also for single or double occupancy, short-term stay in Campus Village Building 2. Linen is included in every room, but parking requires an additional cost. Campus Village Building A offers an efficiency room with a queen size bed, private bathroom and small microwave and refrigerator. Campus Village Building 2 offers a residence hall room with extra long twin beds and shared, communal bathrooms across or down the hallway. Reservations must be made at least 72 hours in advance. Click here for more information and to register for housing:
The Hilton San Jose offers the following discount to SJSU affiliates.
- Hilton San Jose
- Please visit their website here or contact their customer service and use the special rate code: 886013 for the 10% SJSU discount on their best rates.
For more information contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 408-924-5972.