Transfer Orientation FAQ
These are the most frequently asked questions about the Spring Orientation. Please take a moment to review before calling or emailing us, as most questions are answered below!
- Do I need to attend the Spring Orientation program?
- How do I sign up for the Spring Orientation program?
- When will I receive a confirmation of my orientation date?
- What happens at orientation?
- What do I need to bring to the Spring Orientation program?
- Where do I park during Spring Orientation?
- What if I can't attend Spring Orientation?
- What does the Spring Orientation fee pay for?
- What about lodging?
- Can I bring guests or children?
Yes, attending all activities during Spring Orientation is required. If you do not attend or leave during any portion, you will be blocked from class registration and will not be able to attend SJSU in Spring 2020.
You will sign up in Step 2 of the “Intent to Enroll” process at nextsteps.sjsu.edu. You will need your Student ID number (9 digits) and PIN (4 digit number that is the month/day of your birthday) to access the site.
Next, follow these steps:
- Select the Friday, January 17, 2020 Spring Orientation date.
- Click Submit
- Print two (2) copies of the reservation. Keep one for your records and bring the other to Orientation.
- Follow the link to the online Marketplace to pay your $250 enrollment deposit.
A confirmation of payment email will be generated immediately after payment from email@example.com. If you do not see this, please check your junk or spam folder. It will also always be available on your Next Steps account.
This mandatory program shows you all that SJSU has to offer and will:
- Teach you about SJSU traditions
- Introduce you to the many resources available on campus
- Welcome you to your new community and home
- Help you be confident about your ability to graduate
Trained Orientation Leaders will:
- Guide you through educational experiences about campus programs and services
- Assist you in making the transition to SJSU
You should bring:
- User ID and Password to log into MySJSU.
- Your 9-digit SJSU ID and 4-digit PIN to log into the Next Steps website.
- Your Orientation Confirmation with barcode printed from Next Steps.
- In order to make our academic advising and registration process more efficient we are asking students who own a laptop or tablet to bring it to orientation.
- It would also be beneficial to have files of your SJSU admission information including admission letters, grade reports, copies of transcripts from other colleges, placement test scores, financial aid forms, and everything else related to your enrollment.
Parking is available at the 7th Street Parking Garage located on the corner of S. 7th Street and E. San Salvador Street, San Jose, CA 95112. You will be provided with parking information when you receive your confirmation letter via your MySJSU portal approximately one (1) week prior to orientation.
Attendance is mandatory. If you do not attend, you will not be able to register courses for the semester in which you are admitted. We encourage you to register early and make travel plans around this date.
The student fee pays for:
- Printed material
- All meals
- Building overhead
- Giveaway items
No portion of this fee is optional as students are required to participate in all aspects of the program. This fee is non-refundable.
Overnight accommodations are NOT provided as part of the one-day Spring Orientation program.
Please note that guests are not allowed to attend the Spring Orientation program. Please contact our office via email to inquire about special accomodations offered to our students. firstname.lastname@example.org