SJSU Dietetic Internship Program
Program Description and Application Requirements
The SJSU dietetic internship (DI) is only available to SJSU students from the programs BS in Nutritional Science, Concentration in Dietetics or MS in Nutritional Science.
The DI at San José State University is a 7 months (full time) supervised program with placement sites located in the greater San Francisco Bay Area. Please review the SJSU DI Frequently Asked Questions page for additional info regarding the SJSU DI.
The SJSU DI Brochure [link to Forms page] provides information about the application requirements and procedures. The SJSU DI Handbook [link to Forms page] provides an overview of the DI Program and details program policies and procedures.
The SJSU DI participates in a preselection process and can select a maximum of 24 dietetic Interns per year. There are two rounds of applications each year. Please review the SJSU DI Application Timeline [PDF] to determine when applications are due.
If an applicant is not selected through the preselect process, she/he may apply to other DI programs through the computer matching process.
SJSU DI Mission Statement
The mission of the Dietetic Internship (DI) Program is to provide graduates with a supervised practice experience that will prepare them to be competent and effective entry-level registered dietitians/nutritionists to be employable in a wide variety of settings, including management roles.
firstname.lastname@example.org, Office: (408) 924-3109
The SJSU DI is fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND):
120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2190, Chicago, IL 60606-6995
Phone: 312-899-0040 - ext. 5400; Fax: 312-899-4817
Program Goals and Objectives
Program Goal #1
The program will prepare graduates to be qualified to practice as an entry-level Registered Dietitian.
- At least 80% of program students complete program/degree requirements within 10.5 months (150% of the program length).
- On the post internship evaluation form, 80% of preceptors will rate graduates with a 4 or greater (on a 5 point scale) indicating preparation for entry level practice as a registered dietitian.
- On the one-year post completion survey, of those that respond, 80% will score graduates as “Competent” (score at least 4 on a 5 point scale), regarding graduate preparation for entry level practice.
- The program’s one-year pass rate (graduates who pass the registration exam within one year of first attempt) on the CDR credentialing exam for dietitian nutritionists is at least 80%.
Program Goal #2
The program will prepare graduates to be employable in a wide variety of settings including management positions.
- Of graduates who seek employment, 75% percent are employed in nutrition and dietetics or related fields within 12 months of graduation.
- Of graduates who are employed in nutrition and dietetics or related fields, 20% percent will have a position with a management role within 12 months of graduation.
The DI Program Outcomes data are available on request.
For more information on transcript evaluation (only for SJSU students) and the dietetic technician pathway, visit:
- Instructions for DPD Transcript Evaluation at SJSU (Links to Forms page)
- Instructions for DPD Transcript Evaluation for Foreign Students at SJSU (Links to Forms page)
- Instructions for Dietetic Technician (DT) Pathway (Links to Forms page)