SJSU Dietetic Internship Program
The SJSU dietetic internship is only available to SJSU students from the programs BS in Dietetics and MS in Nutritional Science.
The DI at San José State University is a 7 months (full time) or 12 months (part-time) supervised program with placement sites located in the greater San Francisco Bay Area.
SJSU DI Mission Statement
The mission of the Dietetic Internship (DI) Program is to provide graduates with a supervised practice experience that will prepare them to be competent and effective entry-level registered dietitians/nutritionists to be employable in a wide variety of settings, including management roles.
Dr. Colette LaSalle, PhD, RD
The SJSU DI is fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND):
120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2190
Chicago, IL 60606-6995
312-899-0040 - ext. 5400
Program Goals and Objectives
Program Goal #1
The program will prepare graduates to be qualified to practice as an entry-level Registered Dietitian.
- At least 80% of program students complete program/degree requirements within 10.5-18 months (150% of the program length).
- On the post internship evaluation form, 90% of preceptors will rate graduates with a 3 or greater (on a 5 point scale) indicating preparation for entry level practice as a registered dietitian.
- On the one-year post completion survey, of those that respond, 80% will score graduates as “meeting expectations” (score at least 2 on a 3 point scale), regarding graduate preparation for entry level practice.
- The program’s one-year pass rate (graduates who pass the registration exam within one year of first attempt) on the CDR credentialing exam for dietitian nutritionists is at least 80%.
Program Goal #2
The program will prepare graduates to be employable in a wide variety of settings including management positions.
- Of graduates who seek employment, 75% percent are employed in nutrition and dietetics or related fields within 12 months of graduation.
- Of graduates who are employed in nutrition and dietetics or related fields, 20% percent will have a position with a management role within 12 months of graduation.
The DI Program Outcomes data are available on request.
Dietetic Internship Applicant Responsibilities
All DI Applicants must complete a two-phase process:
- Application Phase on Dietetic Internship Centralized Application System (DICAS)
- Computer Matching Phase on D&D Digital
Phase 1: Application
- Obtain current application materials from DI’s at least 6 months prior to the computer match in April and November.
- GRE’s may be needed.
- Request letters of recommendations from faculty/employers at least two months prior to application deadline.
- Obtain Declaration of Intent or Verification Statement from the DPD Director.
- Start the DI application on Dietetic Internship Centralized Application System (DICAS).
- You will also need to mail, postmarked by the deadline date, a copy of the official transcript from each college and university you have attended to the following address:
DICAS Transcript Department
PO Box 9118
Watertown, Massachusetts 02472
- Send DICAS request to faculty/employers from whom you are requesting letters of recommendation.
- Send DICAS request to DPD Director early (2nd week of January or 2nd week of August) to verify the Declaration of Intent or Verification Statement.
- The DPD Director will need your most recent transcript to verify you on DICAS.
Phase 2: Computer Matching
- Applicants must register on the D&D Digital Web site, pay the $50.00 computer matching fee with a credit card and submit their prioritized list of selected dietetic internships online to D&D Digital before the designated deadline dates (refer to Dates for the Computer Matching Process for each appointment period).
- Applicants should call D&D Digital prior to the deadline if they do not receive an e-mail with login information.
- Each Applicant must register for matching with D&D Digital to create/modify their prioritized list of DI Internships for matching.
For more information on transcript evaluation (only for SJSU students) and the dietetic technician pathway, visit:
- Instructions for DPD Transcript Evaluation at SJSU (Links to Forms page)
- Instructions for DPD Transcript Evaluation for Foreign Students at SJSU (Links to Forms page)
- Instructions for Dietetic Technician (DT) Pathway (Links to Forms page)