Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
The Valley Foundation School of Nursing offers a program for individuals seeking a Bachelor's of Science degree in nursing. The baccalaureate program prepares the individual for professional nursing practice in a variety of acute care and community settings, and for continuing education and graduate studies.
Applying to the Program
Nursing is an impacted major, which means that all new freshmen and transfer students
need to satisfy supplemental criteria. In order to be accepted into the baccalaureate
nursing program, students must complete a multi-step process.
Prospective students are advised to read the entire BSN Information Packet for detailed information on the application process.
Students must complete the following to be eligible for admission to the BSN program:
- San Jose State University application
- TEAS test
- School of Nursing application on NursingCAS
- Prerequisite Courses
These prerequisite courses must be completed before applying to the School of Nursing:
- BIOL 65 Human Anatomy*
- BIOL 66 Human Physiology*
- MICR 20 General Bacteriology*
- ENGL 1A First Year Writing
- STAT 95 Elementary Statistics
- COMM 20 Public Speaking
- CHEM 30A Introductory Chemistry
- Area A3 Critical Thinking Course
*Courses must be completed within 5 years of the application deadline and passed with a C or better.
These co-requisite courses may be in-progress at the time of application submission:
- CHAD 70 Lifespan Development in the 21st Century
- PSYC 1 Introduction to Psychology
- NUFS 8 Nutrition for Health Professions
Completing the Applications
The university application is completed online on the CalState Apply website.
Transfer students- select the major: PRE-NURSING, UNDECLARED.
Prior baccalaureate students- first select: Seeking Second Bachelor's Degree.
Then, select the major: PRE-NURSING, UNDECLARED.
The nursing program application is completed online on the NursingCAS website.
Please refer to the BSN Information Packet for instructions on how to apply.
Applying for Fall:
University Application October 1-November 30
NursingCAS Application Mid January-February 15
Applicants will be informed of decision by department at approximately end of April.
*Applying for Spring:
University Application August 1-31
NursingCAS Application Mid August-September 15
Applicants will be informed of decision by department at approximately end of November.
*Only current SJSU students or students seeking a second bachelor's degree may apply.
Prospective Student Advising
Additionally, it is highly recommended that prospective students attend a group advising session to prepare for the application process.
Prospective Student Information and Forms
IMPORTANT PLEASE READ: BSN Information Packet
- Fall 2020 Applicants
- 2019/2020 Applicant Check List
- Substitution Form pdf
- Substitution Form (fillable form)
- Functional Competencies Form
- Healthcare Work Experience Form
- Advising Slides 2019
- Program Course of Study for Fall 2020
- New BSN Road Map for Fall 2020
- BSN Road Map (For Spring 2020 and earlier)
- Military Member Applicants
- TVFSON FAQs
- SJSU Admissions
- SJSU Advising Hub
- SJSU Academic Advising and Retention Services
- SJSU Articulation Agreements
The baccalaureate degree program in nursing at San Jose State University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
Still have questions? Please call the School of Nursing office at 408-924-3130 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org