Doctor of Nursing Practice Program at San Jose State University
- About the DNP Program
- Applicant Resources
- Student Resources
- Contact Information
- Current Events: SJSU's DNP
We are utilizing the best of the past to create the future of nursing, nursing education, and improved patient outcomes throughout California. We are pursuing this mission by offering this post-Master’s degree, the Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program.
The Doctor of Nursing Practice program at San Jose State University is seeking accreditation by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org).
The SJSU DNP degree program is designed to mesh with a professional, working schedule.
- Majority online program
- Has a single on-campus meeting at the beginning of each semester (otherwise, entirely online)
- Admits as a cohort in the Fall semester
- Occurs over five (5) semesters/twenty-three (23) months
- Consists of three (3) courses per semester
- Clinical hours accrued during Master’s work are applicable to required 1,000 post-Baccalaureate practicum hours
- Computer Programs/Applications used:
Rather than a thesis, a dissertation, or a comprehensive exam as the culminating experience of the program, students earning their DNP degree will produce a Doctoral Project which will be presented to faculty during the final semester of the program, and an article on the project will be submitted for publication. Work related to a student’s Doctoral Project begins during the first semester, and is worked on throughout the entire program (via practicum hours). Applicants should consider developing a practice-related quality improvement, or evidence-based area of study, for their DNP Project and should be prepared to discuss this idea during the admissions process and in interviews.
For Doctoral Project inspiration, visit https://scholarworks.sjsu.edu/dnp/ and read some of the projects of previous DNP graduates.
Applicants who require assistance in formulating appropriate topics are encouraged to contact the Program Coordinators.
Learn About SJSU’s DNP Program – Live!
Live-hosted online Info Sessions are held during the winter/spring, via Zoom meetings. For schedule, additional information, or general questions, contact email@example.com.
Aren't able to make one of the scheduled live info sessions? Watch a pre-recorded info session on the youtube channel of one of faculty members.
Interested in Applying?
After reading through the Admissions section, please submit your initial application through Cal State Apply (www2.calstate.edu/apply). You will be asked to upload transcripts, among other documents, so apply early!
Our Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program is a 5-semester post-master's degree program designed to mesh with a full-time professional work schedule.
Prospective students applying for admission to the DNP program must have the following:
- Active, unrestricted California RN licensure and (if applicable) an advanced practice national certification
- Master's Degree in Nursing Science (MSN). Or, a Master’s Degree in a health-related
field (e.g. Public Health, Health Administration) with additional post-baccalaureate
courses in nursing theories, research methods, trans-cultural nursing, and informatics.
- Master’s degree must be completed/received no later than July 1st prior to admission
- GPA of 3.0 or above, in pre-doctoral courses
- Meet admission requirements of San Jose State University Graduate Admissions
- Demonstrate sufficient preparation and practice experience as an APN, nurse manager, nurse administrator, executive, educator, or professional nurse.
- A personal written statement of purpose. Must be doubled-spaced and address the following: what you expect to accomplish in the DNP program and how the DNP program will advance your nursing career and practice. You may include your potential area of focus in the program which should be your primary area of focus for your DNP project.
- U.S citizenship or U.S permanent residency
The DNP program admits students in the Fall semester only. Students will be admitted as a cohort.
Three Steps to Admission
Step One: Cal State Apply application
Application Window: October 1st - May 31st
Apply to SJSU through Cal State Apply. Complete this application as early as possible to allow time for all required university documentation to be processed. Documents include official transcripts, residency status information, and more.
Navigate to: https://www2.calstate.edu/apply
Choose Fall of the appropriate year in the drop-down menu (the DNP program admits students in the Fall only), and indicate that your degree goal is a Graduate or Professional Degree, and select the Doctor of Nursing Practice program/major option.
For applicant support during the application process, please contact Cal State Apply directly at 857-304-2087.
See required steps to complete your university application at: http://www.sjsu.edu/graduateadmissions/want-to-apply/domestic-steps-to-admission/
For a preview of what will be required during the Cal State Apply process, and to let the DNP Program Team know of your interest, fill out this brief survey.
Step Two: Interview with Program Coordinators
Deadline: November 1st - May 31st
Once completed, Cal State Apply applications will be reviewed, and applicants who meet the minimum criteria for admission will be contacted for an interview with the Program Coordinators. Once the interview has taken place and a decision has been made, those accepted will be sent an acceptance letter with next-step instructions.
Step Three: Receive Acceptance Notifications
Window: November – June
Acceptance notifications will be sent after completion of the Cal State Apply application and after a successful interview with the Program Coordinators. Once the Acceptance notification is received, applicants will be prompted to confirm their Intent to Attend, will be asked to produce a Doctoral Project Brief (template will be provided), and will need to comply with University Registrar’s instructions.
Application to scholarship and tuition reimbursement programs should be made as soon as possible after acceptance has been received.
- DNP Information Sessions: online info sessions are held throughout the Winter/Spring. Please email for the current schedule - firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applicants Residing Outside of CA - we are not currently accepting out-of-state applications. This is being actively pursued; please contact the program team at email@example.com for inquiries.
- Financial Aid
- University Graduate-level Application Requirements
- Program Roadmap (under construction)
- School of Nursing: Prospective Students and Group Admissions Advising
- DNP Student Handbook (under construction)
- Canvas, online learning platform
- SJSU ScholarWorks
- Library Guide
- Guidelines for Master's Thesis/Doctoral Dissertations (Because the DNP program’s culminating event/graduating work is a Doctoral Project, rather than a thesis or dissertation, please use the “Guidelines for Master's Thesis/Doctoral Dissertations” as guidelines only.)
- SJSU Writing Center (Writing support and tutoring)
- Zoom Meetings download
- Additional SJSU Campus Resources
The Valley Foundation School of Nursing, DNP Program
One Washington Square, HB420
San Jose, CA 95192-0057
Fax Number: 408-924-3135
Michelle DeCoux Hampton, RN, PhD, MS
Selected Works: https://works.bepress.com/michelle-hampton/
Ruth Rosenblum, DNP, RN, PNP-BC, CNS
Selected Works: https://works.bepress.com/ruth_rosenblum/
Recruitment & Event Associate
Student Support Analyst
Are you a graduate of the DNP program? Either though the NCC/Fresno parnership or of the SJSU solo program? Do you have advice for future students, an annecdote about your time or how your degree is helping your career? Just want to leave a note with a comment (or a thank you) for a faculty or staff member?
Please do! This survey was made specifically for alumni to have a place to be be heard. In the survey you'll have a chance to give permission for your comments to be used online, in presentations, or even just as helpful advice to current DNP students. If you just want to leave a note, and not have it shared, you can indicate that, too.
We're excited to hear from you!
Fall 2020 Admission: Application Window Opens
The application window for Fall 2020 Admission into the DNP program opens up on October 1st, 2019! Visit https://www2.calstate.edu/apply to apply.
Questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Health Related Holidays and Observances
Baby Saftey Month, Food Allergy Awareness Month, Gynecologic Cancer Awareness Month, Healthy Aging Month, International Self-Awareness Month, Leukemia & Lymphoma Awareness Month, National Alcohol & Drug Addiction Recovery Month
SEP 10: World Suicide Prevention Day
SEP 13: National Celiac Disease Awareness Day
SEP 17: International Patient Saftey Day
SEP 18: National HIV/AIDS and Aging Awareness Day
SEP 29: Family Health and Fitness Day -and- World Heart Day
AIDS Awareness Month, Emotional Wellness Month, Health Literacy Month, National ADHD Awareness Month, Rett Syndrome Awareness Month, World Menopause Month
OCT 01: SJSU Application window opens for Fall 2020 Admission
OCT 02: National Walk or Bike to School Day
OCT 10: World Mental Health Day
OCT 13: World Hospice and Palliative Care Day
OCT 18: National Mammography Day
OCT 19: World Pediatric Bone and Joint Day
OCT 21: National Check Your Meds Day
The Doctor of Nursing Practice program at San Jose State University (as a partner in the California State University Northern California Consortium DNP, a consortium of CSU Fresno and San Jose State University) is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org).