Hands of Change is the Alumni Association of San Jose State University Department of Occupational Therapy. Its mission is to provide a bridge between its members and the department, promote a sense of unity, and provide opportunities for networking and mentoring while acting as a resource to enhance knowledge and growth.
Purposes of the Alumni Association:
- Provide guidance and support to the members
- Serve as a resource to its members
- Provide mentoring to students of SJSU's Department of Occupational Therapy
- Visit and keep track of friends and faculty
- Promote ongoing communication with the SJSU's Department of Occupational Therapy
- Support the department
- Support curriculum revision
- Support research
- Provide recognition of significant events and people
Goals of the Alumni Association:
- To maintain an updated database
- To establish membership dues and donations
- To hold Alumni Reception events at the annual OTAC Conference
- To develop an alumni contact list
- To raise funds for scholarships to students
- To raise funds for Department upgrading
- To receive funds/support from vendors
For More Information or to Donate:
If you believe that San Jose State University and the Occupational Therapy Department
contributed to, or were instrumental in your professional development and ultimate
financial success, please help us now with a generous financial contribution. There
is no more important time to give than now and there is no more important investment
you could be making in your profession than to give back to the school and program
of which you can be proud. Consider making a gift to the department in honor today.
Have more questions? Contact the Alumni Association at 408-924-3070.
Recognition of the Amazing Donors to the SJSU Occupational Therapy Department
The faculty, staff and students of the Department of Occupational Therapy at San Jose
State University wish to thank and recognize all of our esteemed alumni and donor
friends who have contributed over the past year! Your donations directly enrich and
impact our department’s innovative programs of excellence in education, research and
practice in occupational therapy and has been instrumental in continuing the academic
excellence that is the San Jose State University Occupational Therapy Department.
Our Endowed “Diamond” Donors:
These donors have made a large endowed donation to support the OT department on an ongoing basis – this provides continuous support!
- Mary Booth created the Mary Booth Scholarships
- Dr. Donald and Mrs. Donna Friedrich created the Wynn Schultz-Krohn Scholarships
- Bonita Kraft created the Bonita Kraft Scholarship
- Susan Robertson created the Occupational Therapy Professional Development Fund and in the process of funding the Susan Robertson Endowed Chair position.
We would also like to recognize each designated donor level from alums and supporters this year (2019/20):
Diamond Donors with a donation of over $500+
|Dr. Heidi M. Pendleton|
|Donna & Donald Fridrich|| Mr. Robert Reaugh/
Ms. Janet Lovitt
|The Hon. Michael and
Mrs. Susan Harris
|Dr. Susan Robertson|
|Mr. Steven Leung/Mrs.
Grace Wong Leung
Mrs. Judith A. Palladino
Gold Donors with a donation of $300 to $499
|Lois M. Barber||Cindy Robins|
Silver Donors with a donation of $200 to $299
|Crowell Family Foundation||Alida Lindsley|
Robert O Guillot
Richard and Pratricia
|Mr. Michael B. Wong|
Ruth Anne Humphry
Bronze Donors with a donation of $150 to $199
Francine T. Howard
|Ms. Loann Nguyen|
Ms. Natalie C. John
|Ms. Kathleen L. Parker|
Linda Mather (Hand & Upper
Extremity Rehab. Specialsts)
|Gordon & Nancie C. Ward|
Keynote Speaker - October 5, 2018
Alumni Shawn Phipps, PhD, MS, OTR/L, FAOTA (bio)
Chief Quality Officer & Associate Hospital Administrator of Rancho Los Amigos National
Rehabilitation Hospital and Past Vice President of the American Occupational Therapy
Keynote Address [pdf] by Dr. Shawn Phipps at the SJSU Student Union Meeting Room
Click here to watch a video of our 75th Anniversary Keynote Address by Dr. Shawn Phipps.
Alumni in the News
- Alumnus Dr. Shawn Phipps (SJSU Post-professional MSOT program)
- Alumna Dr. Gigi Smith (SJSU Post-professional MSOT program)
- Alumna Rochelle McLaughlin (M.S. in OT, 2000)
- Alumna Beth Ching (BS in OT, 1985)
- Lecturer/Alumna Alison George (MS, 1996)
- Alumna Apple Sepulveda (SJSU Post-professional MSOT program)
Susan J. Harris, an esteemed colleague and SJSU Alum, passed away on January 20, 2020.
For those who have not heard of Sue Harris, she was one of the first OTs to start an OT company and it grew into an amazing company. She was a big advocate for OTs having a voice in the political arena and always supported the OTACPAC. She was also named the 2008 SJSU OT Dept. Distinguished Alumni and was one of our Diamond Level Donors. And in 2018 at the OTAC Conference, Susan Harris was the honoree for the LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. Here's a link to her Obituary.
Virginia (Gina) Maren - on December 5, 2018, Gina Maren, loving sister, aunt and friend, lost her battle with cancer at the age of 73 surrounded by family and friends. Gina held a Masters degree in Occupational therapy from SJSU, specializing in Pediatrics for over 30 years. She worked for Easter Seals, Agnews Developmental Center, CA Children's Services, Valley Medical Center and Care at Home. Obituary [pdf].
Keep in Touch!
Let us know how you are doing and Keep in Touch [pdf].
And don't forget to like us on Facebook to continue growing with us and keep abreast with the latest news, accolades and events at our department!