Hands of Change is the Alumni Association of San Jose State University Department of Occupational Therapy. Its mission is to provide a bridge between its members and the department, promote a sense of unity, and provide opportunities for networking and mentoring while acting as a resource to enhance knowledge and growth.
Purposes of the Alumni Association:
- Provide guidance and support to the members
- Serve as a resource to its members
- Provide mentoring to students of SJSU's Department of Occupational Therapy
- Visit and keep track of friends and faculty
- Promote ongoing communication with the SJSU's Department of Occupational Therapy
- Support the department
- Support curriculum revision
- Support research
- Provide recognition of significant events and people
Goals of the Alumni Association:
- To maintain an updated database
- To establish membership dues and donations
- To hold Alumni Reception events at the annual OTAC Conference
- To develop an alumni contact list
- To raise funds for scholarships to students
- To raise funds for Department upgrading
- To receive funds/support from vendors
For More Information or to Donate:
If you believe that San Jose State University and the Occupational Therapy Department
contributed to, or were instrumental in your professional development and ultimate
financial success, please help us now with a generous financial contribution. There
is no more important time to give than now and there is no more important investment
you could be making in your profession than to give back to the school and program
of which you can be proud. Consider making a gift to the department in honor of our
Diamond75th anniversary this year (2018).
The faculty, staff and students of the Department of Occupational Therapy at San Jose
State University wish to thank and recognize all of our esteemed alumni and donor
friends who gave generously during the previous year. We are grateful for your support
and commitment. Your donations directly enrich and impact our department’s innovative
programs of excellence in education, research and practice in occupational therapy.
Have more questions? Contact the Alumni Association at 408-924-3070.
Recognition of the Amazing Donors to the SJSU Occupational Therapy Department
We are so very grateful for our donors who have contributed over the past year! Your support has been instrumental in continuing the academic excellence that is the San Jose State University Occupational Therapy Department!
Our Endowed “Diamond” Donors:
These donors have made a large endowed donation to support the OT department on an ongoing basis – this provides continuous support!
- Mary Booth created the Mary Booth Scholarships
- Dr. Donald and Mrs. Donna Friedrich created the Wynn Schultz-Krohn Scholarships
- Bonita Kraft created the Bonita Kraft Scholarship
- Susan Robertson created the Occupational Therapy Professional Development Fund and in the process of funding the Susan Robertson Endowed Chair position.
We would also like to recognize each designated donor level from alums and supporters during the past year:
Diamond Donors with a donation of over $500
|Susan Harris||Heidi Pendleton|
|Ruth Humphry||Susan Robertson|
|Lela Llorens||Tiffany Sousa|
|Judith Palladino||Grace Wong-Leung|
|Shawn Phipps||Therapy Specialist
(In Honor of Susan Harris)
Gold Donors with a donation of $300 to $499
(BWO Martha Bermudez)
|Mayra Bermudez||Winifred Schultz-Krohn|
|Eric Fischer &
|North Coast Medical|
|Natanael Leyva &
Silver Donors with a donation of $200 to $299
|Deborah Bolding||Michelle C. Lee|
|Nita Maxwell||Nathan Nam|
|Marie Pelletier-Hartwig||Cara Shinagawa|
|Redwood Pediatric Therapy
Bronze Donors with a donation of $150 to $199
|Jennifer Debutts||Bichphoung T. Nguyen|
|Tuy Nguyen||Laura Tait|
|Jimmy Villegas||Nancie Ward|
|Living in Familiar
Alumni Shawn Phipps, PhD, MS, OTR/L, FAOTA (bio)
Chief Quality Officer & Associate Hospital Administrator of Rancho Los Amigos National
Rehabilitation Hospital and Vice President of the American Occupational Therapy Association
Keynote Address [pdf] by Dr. Shawn Phipps at the SJSU Student Union Meeting Room
Click below to watch a video of our 75th Anniversary Keynote Address by Dr. Shawn
Educational Sessions offered by Esteemed Alums (CE Flyer and Course Objectives)
(3.25 PDUs offered to attendees)
Concurrent Educational Sessions
• Shawn Phipps (bio): How to be a Transformational & Visionary Leader in Occupational Therapy - Handout [pdf]
• Elizabeth Gomes (bio): Returning to Our Roots to Ensure our Future - Handout [pdf]
• Natalie Crittendon & Katie Gordon: Occupational Justice for Youth of the Bay Area - Handout [pdf]
• Jean Koketsu: Sleep – The Restorative Occupation - Handout [pdf]
• Allison Smith (bio): Transitions from NICU to home – the Role of OT - Handout [pdf]
• Sue Robertson: Authentic OT Process: The Client-Therapist Perspectives - Handout [pdf]
• Graham Teaford (bio): Promoting Occupational Performance for Older Adults with Visual Limitations - Handout [pdf]
• Shohei Takatani: The Unique Role of Occupational Therapy with Clients with Cardiac Conditions in Acute Care - Handout [pdf]
• Rochelle McLaughlin (bio): Mindful Practice of Occupational Therapy - Handout [pdf]
• Uyen Nguyen: Creative Scheduling Models for School Based OT Services - Handout [pdf]
Click below to watch a slideshow of the photo booth pics at the 75th Anniversary celebration in IL Fornaio (San Jose, CA).
Alumni in the News
- Alumna Rochelle McLaughlin (M.S. in OT, 2000) has developed a first-of-it's kind Mindfulness-Based Occupational
Therapy Advanced Certificate Program through our very own Department of OT! Click
here to find out more.
- Alumna Beth Ching (BS in OT, 1985) is an Assistant Professor in the OTD program at
Samuel Merritt and will recive the Interprofessional Collaboration Award at the 2017
AOTA Annual Conference. Her award will acknoledge her skills: Making Space for Everyone
at the Table.
- Congratulations to Lecturer Alison George, graduate of SJSU with a masters of science
degree from the OT Dept., who received the Provost Award for recognition of supporting
the OT Department in working on the Departmental Writing Standards. Read more about
it by clicking on this link [pdf].
- A graduate from the SJSU Distance MSOT program, alumna Apple Sepulveda, received a
Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Grant to work with health professionals in the Philippines.
Dr. Pamela Richardson worked with this student on her graduate project and would be
able to provide additional information about this grant.
- Cynthia Ting, 2015 graduate of SJSU OT program, receives Outstanding Student Award from OTAC.OUTSTANDING STUDENT AWARD:Recognizes a member of OTAC who has made significant contributions to OT in the area(s) of scholarship, organizational activities, community service, and/or advocacy.
Congratulations, Cynthia Ting, 2015 OTAC
Outstanding Student Awardee!
- Wendy Howard, CHT
Virginia (Gina) Maren - on December 5, 2018, Gina Maren, loving sister, aunt and friend, lost her battle with cancer at the age of 73 surrounded by family and friends. Gina held a Masters degree in Occupational therapy from SJSU, specializing in Pediatrics for over 30 years. She worked for Easter Seals, Agnews Developmental Center, CA Children's Services, Valley Medical Centera and Care at Home. Obituary [pdf].
Keep in Touch!
Let us know how you are doing and Keep in Touch [pdf].
And don't forget to like us on Facebook to continue growing with us and keep abreast with the latest news, accolades and events at our department!