Application Information and Criteria for Acceptance
The Department of Occupational Therapy uses the OTCAS (The Centralized Application Service for Occupational Therapy) for submission of
applications to the Master of Science in OT Program. Certain application information
is submitted to OTCAS and other information is sent directly to the Occupational Therapy
department. Additionally, applicants must apply to SJSU's Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations (GAPE) via Cal State Apply. For Fall 2018 program, applications will become available October 1st.
NOTE: Your college/university transcripts must be evaluated by Graduate Studies prior to applying. If your degree program was conducted in a language other than English, you will also need to take an English proficiency exam such as the TOEFL or the IELTS. Go to this website for more information. You may also want to contact Jessica Hernandez at (408) 924-2406 if you have any questions about your Graduate Studies & Admissions application.
If you want to reapply for the next cycle, please contact the Graduate Assistant.
A. Items to be completed through OTCAS:
- Application/Personal Statement (Please limit your personal statement to 500 words or 1 page only.)
- Official transcripts for all coursework
- Letters of Recommendation
Note: The Letter of Recommendation Forms CANNOT be completed by the same individual who completes the "Evaluation Form for Volunteer Experience”.
Note: Please follow instructions on OTCAS
B. Items to be submitted directly to the Department of Occupational Therapy at SJSU:
- First page of OTCAS Application (page 1) with Personal Information, etc.
- Copy of the General Essay from OTCAS application. You may customize the essay if you
- Unofficial copy of GRE scores - Please note: GRE Scores cannot be sent to the department from the testing site. Scores sent to SJSU go to the University (GAPE), not to the department. You must mail a copy of the scores directly to the department.
- Sealed Volunteer Evaluation Forms and Right of Access forms
NOTE: Beginning with the October 2016 application period we will NO LONGER accept the MAT. Students wishing to apply to the program must take the GRE.
C. Items to be submitted to GAPE
Application to the University through GAPE is a separate process from application to the OT Program. Items required and sent to GAPE do not come to the department.
- Submission of the online application to San Jose State University Graduate Admissions & Program Evaluations (GAPE) - the application form is available at Cal State Apply.
- Official transcripts for all college level work (both 2 year and 4 year) leading up to the completion of the Bachelor Degree. Send one copy to Graduate Admissions & Program Evaluations (GAPE) and one copy to OTCAS.
- Official transcripts for all prerequisite courses taken after the completion of the Bachelor's degree. One copy of those transcripts should be sent to OTCAS and Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations(GAPE).
CRITERIA FOR ACCEPTANCE
All of the following criteria are equally important in the selection process. If any one area is below the minimum requirement, your application will not be considered for selection. Please do not apply unless your materials meet the program's minimum requirements. Please do not apply until you have all of the required application materials. Exceptional performance in the following areas will improve chances of selection.
1. GPA - minimum GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) in the last 60 semester or 90 quarter units is required. A 3.2 or higher is recommended.
2. GRE - A minimum GRE verbal score of 153 is required and an Analytical Writing score of 4.5 is desired (a minimum score of 4.0 is required).
A Graduate Record Examination (GRE) combined minimum Quantitative and Verbal score
of 297 is required.
NOTE: Have an official copy of the GRE sent to Graduate Studies Admissions & Program Evaluations (GAPE) department (SJSU code 4687), and mail an unofficial copy to the Department of Occupational Therapy.
3. Application and Personal Statement (submitted through OTCAS).
4. 3 Letters of Recommendation submitted through OTCAS attesting to academic ability,
work performance record and personal attributes necessary for graduate study. Please
refer to OTCAS website.
NOTE: Letter of Recommendation Forms cannot be completed by the same individual who completes the "Evaluation Form for Volunteer Experience”. You will not need to upload the Right of Access form onto OTCAS for your 3 letters of recommendation, despite the title of the university document. You will be submitting a digital version of the Right of Access form when you complete your referee's information on OTCAS.
5. Volunteer Experience - Minimum of 80 hours volunteer experience or paid work experience in at least 2 different types of healthcare, education, or social service settings; 60 of the hours must be completed under the supervision of an occupational therapist. Applicants are also required to complete a minimum of 20 hours at a community agency under the supervision of a community agency supervisor (i.e., teacher, administrator, nurse, social worker, etc.) in addition to completing the 60 hours under the supervision of an OTR/L. Examples of community agencies include schools, churches, health care agencies, social-service groups, adult day centers, advocacy groups, community mental health agencies, services for the developmentally disabled, and homeless shelters just to name a few. If the student prefers, all 80 hours can be completed under the supervision of an OTR/L. Hours must be verified by the supervisor on the Evaluation Form for Volunteer Experience [pdf] and submitted at the time of application (available on the Department of Occupational Therapy website). At least 40 of the 80 hours must be completed by the time you apply. We require at least 20 hours to be completed under each OTR/L so that we know the OTR/L and/or supervisor knows you well enough to fill the form out for you. Do not ask an OTR/L to fill out a volunteer form for anything under 20 hours.
- Please note: Applicants must also download the Right of Access to Letter of Recommendation form[pdf] form, one copy per referee (person completing the Volunteer Experience form), fill
it out and sign it, deliver it to each referee, and instruct him or her that it must
accompany the Evaluation for Volunteer Experience form. You will not need to upload the Right of Access form onto OTCAS for your 3 letters of recommendation,
despite the tile of the university document.
Note: Please provide information regarding your observation hours with an OTR/L on OTCAS AND please submit the completed, signed, and sealed Volunteer Evaluation Form, along with the Right of Access to the Letter of Recommendation Form, directly to the Occupational Therapy Department at SJSU. If you complete community service hours in addition to your occupational therapy observation hours, please do NOT enter this information into OTCAS.
6. Prerequisite Courses - All of the required prerequisite courses must be completed with a "B" or better. Ideally, all prerequisite courses should be completed before enrolling in the program. At least 4 of the 8 courses must be complete by the time the application is submitted.
No advanced placement, transfer of credit, credit for experiential learning, or work experience credits are accepted as a substitute for courses in the curriculum.
Mail the completed Forms to the Occupational Therapy Department:
Department of Occupational Therapy
Attn: Master of Science in OT Program
One Washington Square
San José, CA 95192-0059