Criteria for Acceptance and Application Information
NOTE: The Department of Occupational Therapy will be using the OTCAS (The Centralized Application Service for Occupational Therapy) application process for the 2014/15 application period. Instructions for applying to our program can be found here on our department website as well as at OTCAS. Please note the following:
Items to be completed and submitted directly to OTCAS:
A. All sealed official transcripts
B. Letter of recommendation
C. Application/personal statement
Note: Please follow instructions on OTCAS
Items to be submitted directly to the Department of Occupational Therapy at SJSU:
A. Official GRE or MAT scores
B. Sealed Volunteer Evaluation Forms
Mail the completed Forms to the Occupational Therpay Department:
Department of Occupational Therapy
Attn: Entry-Level Master's Program
One Washington Square
San José, CA 95192-0059
All of the following criteria are equally important in the selection process. If any one area is below the minimum requirement, your application will not be considered for selection. Please do not apply unless your materials meet the program's minimum requirements. Please do not apply until you have all of the required application materials. Exceptional performance in the following areas will improve chances of selection.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) in the last 60 semester or 90 quarter units is required. A 3.2 or higher is recommended.
- Submission of the application and personal statement through OTCAS.
- Submission of the online application to San Jose State University Graduate Admissions & Program Evaluations (GAPE). The application form is available at CSUMentor.
- Official transcripts for all college level work (both 2 year and 4 year) leading up to the completion of the Bachelor Degree. Send one copy to Graduate Admissions & Program Evaluations and one copy to OTCAS.
- Official transcripts for all prerequisite courses taken after the completion of the Bachelor's degree. One copy of those transcripts should be sent to OTCAS and Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations (GAPE). A Graduate Record Examination (GRE) combined minimum Quantitative and Verbal score of 297 is required.
- A minimum GRE verbal score of 153 is required and a minimum Analytical Writing score
of 4.5 is desired. As an alternative to the GRE exam, a minimum score of 400 or above
on the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) is required.
NOTE: Have an official copy of the GRE or MAT sent to Graduate Studies Admissions & Program Evaluations department (SJSU code 4687) and the Department of Occupational Therapy.
- Submission of 3 recommendations attesting to academic ability, work performance record and personal attributes necessary for graduate study. Please refer to OTCAS website.
- Minimum of 80 hours volunteer experience or paid work experience in at least 2 different
types of healthcare, education, or social service settings; 60 of the hours must be
completed under the supervision of an occupational therapist. Applicants also have
the option of completing a minimum of 20 hours at a community agency under the supervision
of a community agency supervisor (i.e., teacher, administrator, nurse, social worker,
etc.) in addition to completing the 60 hours under the supervision of an OTR/L. Examples
of community agencies include schools, churches, health care agencies, social-service
groups, adult day centers, advocacy groups, community mental health agencies, services
for the developmentally disabled, and homeless shelters just to name a few. If the
student prefers, all 80 hours can be completed under the supervision of an OTR/L.
Hours must be verified by the supervisor on the Evaluation Form for Volunteer Experience [pdf] and submitted at the time of application (available on the Department of Occupational
Therapy website). Must have at least 40 of the 80 hours completed by the time you
apply. We require at least 20 hours to be completed under each OTR/L so that we know
the OTR/L and/or supervisor knows you well enough to fill the form out for you. Do
not ask an OTR/L to fill out a volunteer form for anything under 20 hours.
- Please note: Applicants must also download the Right of Access to Letter of Recommendation form[pdf] form, one copy per referee, fill it out and sign it, deliver it to each referee,
and instruct him or her that it must accompany the Evaluation for Volunteer Experience form to be accepted by SJSU and our program.
Note: Please provide information regarding your observation hours with an OTR/L on OTCAS AND please submit the completed, signed, and sealed Volunteer Evaluation Form, along with the Right of Access to the Letter of Recommendation Form, directly to the Occupational Therapy Department at SJSU. If you complete community service hours in addtion to your occupational therapy observation hours, please do NOT ener this infotmation into OTCAS. Please submit the completed, signed, and sealed Volunteer Evaluation Form, along with the Right of Access to the Letter of Recommendation Form, directly to the Occupational Therapy Department at SJSU.
- Please note: Applicants must also download the Right of Access to Letter of Recommendation form[pdf] form, one copy per referee, fill it out and sign it, deliver it to each referee, and instruct him or her that it must accompany the Evaluation for Volunteer Experience form to be accepted by SJSU and our program.
- All of the required prerequisite courses must be completed with a "B" or better. Ideally, all prerequisite courses should be completed before enrolling in the program. At least four of the 8 courses must be complete by the time the application is sent in. Here's the link to the required prerequisites.