Criteria for Acceptance
All of the following criteria are equally important in the selection process. If any one area is below the minimum requirement, your application will not be considered for selection. Please do not apply unless your materials meet the program's minimum requirements. Please do not apply until you have all of the required application materials. Exceptional performance in the following areas will improve chances of selection.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) in the last 60 semester or 90 quarter units is required. A 3.2 or higher is recommended.
- Submission of the Occupational Therapy Department's Entry-Level Master's Application for Enrollment form [pdf].
- Submission of the online application to San Jose State University Graduate Admissions & Program Evaluations (GAPE). The application form is available at CSUMentor.
- Official transcripts for all college level work (both 2 year and 4 year) leading up to the completion of the Bachelor Degree. Send one copy to Graduate Admissions & Program Evaluations and one copy to the Department of Occupational Therapy.
- Official transcripts for all prerequisite courses taken after the completion of the Bachelor's degree. One copy of those transcripts should be sent to the Department of Occupational Therapy and Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations (GAPE). A Graduate Record Examination (GRE) combined minimum Quantitative and Verbal score of 297 is required.
- A minimum GRE verbal score of 153 is required and a minimum Analytical Writing score
of 4.5 is desired. As an alternative to the GRE exam, a minimum score of 400 or above
on the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) is required.
NOTE: Have an official copy of the GRE or MAT sent to Graduate Studies Admissions & Program Evaluations department (SJSU code 4687). Enclose an unofficial copy of the GRE or MAT as part of your Application Packet to the Department of Occupational Therapy.
- Submission of 3 recommendations attesting to academic ability, work performance record
and personal attributes necessary for graduate study.
- Entry-Level Master's Letter of Recommendation [pdf]Note: Forms should NOT be filled out by a person completing the “Evaluation Form for Volunteer Experience [pdf].”
- Waiver of Right of Access to Letters of Recommendation Form [pdf] Please note: Applicants must download one copy per referee, fill it out and sign it, deliver it to each referee, and instruct him or her that it must accompany the Letter of Recommendation to be accepted by SJSU and our program.
- A minimum of 100 hours of volunteer experience (or equivalent paid work experience)
with an occupational therapist that includes direct involvement with clients is required.
The supervisor should verify and evaluate the experience by completing the Entry-Level Master's Evaluation form for Volunteer Experience [pdf]. Must have at least 50 of the 100 hours complete by the time you apply. We require
at least 30 hours to be completed under each OTR/L so that we know the OTR/Ls know
you well enough to fill the form out for you. Do not ask an OTR/L to fill out a volunteer
form for anything under 30 hours.
- Please note: Applicants must also download the Waiver of Right of Access[pdf] form, one copy per referee, fill it out and sign it, deliver it to each referee, and instruct him or her that it must accompany the Evaluation for Volunteer Experience form to be accepted by SJSU and our program.
- All of the required prerequisite courses must be completed with a "B" or better. Ideally, all prerequisite courses should be completed before enrolling in the program. At least four of the 8 courses must be complete by the time the application is sent in. Here's the link to the required prerequisites.