Faculty, Staff, & Students
Note: The SJSU Occupational Therapy Department is proud of the achievements of the
almost 200 occupational therapists with bachelor's of occupational therapy degrees
who earned a master of science through the post-professional master's degree program
at SJSU from 2003 to 2015.
The program's final class will graduate in 2015. Please visit the AOTA website to view other post-professional programs.
Many graduates of the online Master's program have presented their Master's projects at state, national, and international conferences. Several graduates have published their Master's research in professional journals. Some recent publications are listed below.
- Anderson, R.E. (2008). The art of caring in the computer age: Perceptions of home care occupational therapy practitioners. Home and Community Health Special Interest Section Quarterly, 15 (2).
- Auerbach, E. & Richardson, P. (2005). The long-term work experiences of persons with severe and persistent mental illness. Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal, 28 (3), 267-273.
- Crennan, M. & MacRae, A. (2010). Occupational Therapy discharge assessment of elderly patients from acute care hospitals. Physical and Occupational Therapy in Geriatrics, 28 (1).
- Gerlach, A. (2008). “Circle of caring”: A First Nations worldview of child rearing. Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 75 (1), 18-25.
- Liu, J. & Richardson, P. (2012) Successful aging in older adults with disability. OTJR: Occupation, Participation, and Health. Online advanced release. DOI:10.3928/15394492-20120203-02
- Phipps, S. & Richardson, P. (2007). Outpatient occupational therapy outcomes for clients with brain injury and stroke using the Canadian Occupational Performance Measure. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 61, 328-334. This article won the 2008 AOTA Cordelia Myers First Writer's Award for most outstanding article published by a first time contributor (Phipps) to the American Journal of Occupational Therapy.
Research on the Online Master's Program
We have conducted two studies on the online Master's programs. The published results of these studies are referenced below.
- Richardson, P.K. (2004). Student development in an online Master's degree program. Occupational Therapy in Health Care, 18, 107-116.
- Richardson, P., MacRae, A., Schwartz, K., Bankston, L., & Kosten, K. (2008). Student outcomes in a post-professional online Master's degree program. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 62, 599-609.