University Learning Goals (ULGs)
San José State University graduates will have developed:
- Depth of knowledge required for a degree, as identified by its program learning outcomes.
Broad Integrative Knowledge
- Mastery in each step of an investigative, creative or practical project (e.g. brainstorming, planning, formulating hypotheses or complex questions, designing, creating, completing, and communicating).
- An understanding of the implications of results or findings from a particular work in a societal context (e.g. social or economic implications of a scientific finding).
- Students graduating with a baccalaureate degree will have demonstrated an understanding of critical components of broad academic areas, the arts, humanities, social sciences, and sciences and their integration.
- Fluency in the use of specific theories, tools, technology and graphical representation.
- Skills and abilities necessary for life-long learning: critical and creative thinking, effective communication, conscientious information gathering and processing, mastery of quantitative methodologies, and the ability to engage effectively in collaborative activities.
- The ability to integrate theory, practice, and problem-solving to address practical issues.
- The ability to apply their knowledge and skills to new settings or in addressing complex problems.
- The ability to work productively as individuals and in groups
Social and Global Responsibilities
- The ability to act intentionally and ethically to address a global or local problem in an informed manner with a multicultural and historical perspective and a clear understanding of societal and civic responsibilities.
- Diverse and global perspectives through engagement with the multidimensional SJSU community.
Department Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
As a result of their interaction with the Office of the University Ombudsperson, SJSU students will improve the following skills and demonstrate the related competencies:
Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Interpret information, make connections, and draw conclusions based on analysis. (Broad Integrative Knowledge, Intellectual Skills, Applied Knowledge, Social & Global Responsibilities)
- Identify issues and ask questions that clarify positions and interests. (Social & Global Responsibilities)
Communication and Collaboration
- Articulate thoughts and ideas effectively using verbal and written communication. (Intellectual Skills)
- Communicate and work effectively in diverse environments and unfamiliar situations. (Intellectual Skills, Applied Knowledge, Social & Global Responsibilities)
- Locate information efficiently and effectively. (Intellectual Skills)
- Evaluate information critically and proficiently. (Broad Integrative Knowledge, Intellectual Skills)
- Apply information accurately to the issue or problem at hand. (Intellectual Skills, Applied Knowledge)