General Education Requirements
The requirements and courses described in this section are approved for General Education for all students beginning continuous enrollment in Fall 1991 or later. Students who have maintained continuous enrollment from an earlier date and are completing earlier GE patterns should refer to the substitution list at the end of this section. Questions on GE requirements should be directed to the major adviser, who will refer the student to the Student Services Center if further clarification is needed.
- All students must complete 51 units of approved GE courses with letter grades. If a requirement is waived without unit credit, additional approved GE courses must be taken to complete a minimum of 48 GE units.
- All three areas, CORE GE, Advanced GE and American Institutions, must be completed by all students.
- Transfer students may satisfy all Core GE by completing an Intersegmental GE Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or a CSU 39-unit breadth certification prior to transfer. Second baccalaureate students satisfy Core GE with their first baccalaureate.
- All students must satisfy Advanced GE at SJSU regardless of GE completed at other institutions. EXCEPTION: Written Communication II may be satisfied prior to transfer.
- If a course is listed as a sequence (AB), the entire sequence must be completed to satisfy the requirement.
- Written Communications and Mathematical Concepts courses require a minimum grade of C.
- To find approved courses, check the GE designator listed for the requirement. This designator is printed by each GE class section in the schedule of classes.
- All GE courses must be on the approved list of the California Community College (CCC), California State University (CSU), or University of California (UC) for CSU Breadth Requirements or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) where and when the course is taken.
- The following GE courses require prerequisites to enroll:
- Written Communication IA and IB: English Placement Test (EPT)
- Mathematical Concepts: Entry Level Math Test (ELM)
- Advanced GE: Writing Skills Test (WST)