MHIP Coordinator, School of Social Work
Additional Contact Information
Email contact preferred, then we can arrange a phone call. I DO NOT CHECK VOICE MAIL OFTEN!
MENTAL HEALTH INITIATIVE PROGRAM INFORMATION FOR MSW STUDENTS
Varies: Tuesdays and Thursdays, usually early morning to early afternoon. Sometimes in on Mondays or Wednesdays.
THIS STIPEND IS ONLY AVAILABLE TO FINAL YEAR PLACEMENT STUDENTS. THE ORIENTATION AND APPLICATION PROCESS IS DURING FALL OF THE YEAR PRECEDING YOUR FINAL YEAR INTERNSHIP PLACEMENT.
Attention all MSW students who will be entering their final year of field placement in the coming summer or fall:
The MHIP at the School of Social Work is funded by the Mental Health Services Act (implementation of Prop 63 approved November '04 by California voters). It works much the same as the Title IVE Program but is only for one year and only 10 students are admitted each spring. Typically, we receive about 11-22 applications for the 10 positions.
* MHIP includes a $18,500 stipend for 10 MSW students during their final year of placement and involves specific requirements while in the MSW program related to required coursework and attendance at seminars outside of your other courses and field requirements.
* You must be signed up in the Health/Mental Health area of concentration. You easily change your concentration early in Fall Semester to Health/Mental Health with the permission of the Field Education Office.
* You must be in good academic standing and maintain good academic standing: 3.0 GPA.
* Once awarded in early February, a placement must be obtained in a county mental health department or in an agency contracting with a county mental health department in a program within the agency specifically funded by county mental health.
* Placements in inpatient psychiatric units or in jail settings, juvenile hall settings are not qualifying placements.
* Following graduation, MHIP participants are required to work full time in a county mental health or county mental health contract agency for one calendar year (2,080 hours) somewhere in the state of California even if this means relocating somewhere within the state.
* The MHIP application window will be in mid October to early November with interviews taking place in late January. Notification of acceptance will not happen until late January. The selected 10 awardees for the MHIP will be expected, with MHIP Coordinator consultation and support, to obtain qualifying final year internship placements during the February/March placement search season with consultation and guidance from the MHIP Coordinator.
All MHIP information regarding the application process will be distributed via the MSW List Serv. Applications are not given out until this announcement goes out in October.
~ Charley Hodson, LCSW, MHIP Coordinator
Please email, not phone, for further information. Once in contact by email, we can arrange to speak by phone as indicated.
- Master of Social Work.
Univ Of Washington, 1982
- Bachelor of Arts, Psychology
Univ Of Cal-Santa Cruz, California, United States, 1980