MATH 100W - LaTeX
Welcome! I will be teaching beginning LaTeX to the MATH 100W class this spring 2014. But even if you are not in 100W feel free to use anything posted below. LaTeX is the standard software package used by the scientific community to create professional quality documents (articles, reports, books, resumes, CVs, letters, etc.). I will post links to LaTeX resources here as well as handouts, so check back regularly.
Here you will find handouts, examples, templates, links to downloadable learning resources, etc. Please email me if any of the links are not working correctly or if you find any errors in the documents (especially any TeX templates that I post here). If you are just starting with LaTeX, read the "Introduction and Resources" document first. IMPORTANT! - some documents below are listed twice. One copy is the .tex file and the other is the .pdf document that it generates. Download both and view them side-by-side or download the .tex file and compile it. The best way to learn LaTeX is with examples and these documents provide many of them. For the Detaild Intro To LaTeX part 2, make sure you download the supplemental picture files that go with it.
- Introduction and resources for getting started with LaTeX [PDF]
- Basic Examples [TEX]
- Basic Examples [PDF]
- A detailed Intro To LaTeX - Part1 (Version 1.5.3).pdf [PDF]
- A detailed Intro To LaTeX - Part1 (Version 1.5.3).tex [TEX]
- alice.jpg [JPG]
- teaparty.jpg [JPG]
- RiemannSphereCircle.pdf [PDF]
- myreferences.bib [BIB]
- A detailed Intro To LaTeX - Part2 (Version 1.1).pdf [PDF]
- A detailed Intro To LaTeX - Part2 (Version 1.1).tex [TEX]
Here are some links to important online resources for installing and learning LaTeX.
- The Comprehensive TeX Archive Network (the repository for all things LaTeX)
- Free online LaTeX wikibook
- Lesson 1 - Microsoft Word vs. LaTeX: a comparison of paradigms
- Lesson 2 - A brief history of TeX/LaTeX and an intro to tex file types
- Lesson 3 - Hello World! and more basics: How to read error messages, how to indent, create spaces, pagebreaks and more.