Management Information Systems
BUS119h/118s Practicum in MIS
Business 119h/118s/ is a 2-semester advanced course on the Practice of MIS particularly the implementation of information systems. Its purpose is to provide you with real world experience working on an application project and learning about all the issues associated with the successful completion of the project.
As a practicum, BUS119h/118s provides the opportunity to learn a number of skills directly related to being successful in the workplace. Specifically, BUS119h/118s provides an opportunity to:
- Participate in a team to complete a significant IT project for an organization in the community.
- Develop and practice the following key skills:
- using industry-standard project management tools and methods
- applying technical skills to a business need
- flexibility and adaptability
- Specifically, you will learn to:
- Identify issues associated with the development and management of MIS projects and formulate appropriate strategies for handling them
- Act professionally as a team-member to plan, design, implement and deliver a real-world application project that is accepted by the sponsor
- Create and use project management plans and updates in accordance with industry standards
How is this different from a regular 119a class?
The two-semester format allows bigger, more important and more interesting projects:
- Learn new technical skills
- Learn deeper project management skills than in 119a
- Opportunities for in-depth development of soft skills
- Gain a great addition to your resume
- The small class size allows a level of coaching and personal attention that is impossible in regular classes.
- The two-semester format allows use of class time for bonus activities such as
- Guest speakers
- Personal resume/career coaching
- Only honors students are in the class
- Everyone is smart, interested and motivated
- No freeloading is tolerated
- As a participant in the honors program, you have access to other honors-only opportunities
- Honors-only study travel abroad (we hope), and priority consideration for other travel abroad opportunities
- Special networking opportunities
- Access to job opportunities and internships directed to top students
What does it take to graduate with honors?
To graduate with Departmental Honors from the College of Business and have it listed on your transcript, you must:
- Have an overall SJSU GPA of 3.0
- Have a major GPA of 3.5. Your major is Business (MIS is your concentration), so this includes all Bus 100 and above courses, including Business Ethics.
- Complete one individual scholarly paper
- Have honors faculty recommendation
If you qualify, you may use the following wording on your resume, LinkedIn profile, etc.:
Graduated with Honors from the College of Business, San Jose State University
Graduated with Honors from the College of Business with a concentration in Management Information Systems, San Jose State University
What if I don't qualify to graduate with departmental honors?
If you successfully complete 2 semesters of the program with a "B" or better in both semesters and have honors faculty recommendation, you will graduate with a certificate of completion for the honors program.
In this case, you may use the following wording on your resume, LinkedIn profile, etc.:
Completed the Gary J. Sbona Honors Program in the College of Business, San Jose State University
Completed the Gary J. Sbona Honors Program in the College of Business, with a concentration in Management Information Systems, San Jose State University
A description of the MIS program, including application information is available by clicking here.