English 1B Pathways Fall 2015
Syllabus and Schedule
- Critical Analysis Sample Outline
- Sample Sketch for Critical Analysis of "Omelas"
- Film Analysis/Review in MLA format
Samples for the Assignments
- Sample "Pre-Writing" for the Rhetorical Analysis Essay
- Sample Rhetorical Analysis Essay
- Sample Annotated Bibliography
- Peer Review Sheet for Rhetorical Analysis
- Peer review for Critical Analysis Essay
- Peer review sheet for Research Proposal/Annotated Bibliography
- Peer review sheet for Researched Argument
- "A Millennial Named Bush"
- "The Green-Collar Solution"
- "We Need Optimists"
- "Starting With a Handshake" (Excerpt from Creating a World Without Poverty)
- Excerpt from The Story of Stuff [PDF]
- Sample Reviews #1
- "SeeChange" (Excerpt from The Circle)
- Questions for "SeeChange" and Proposal Chapter
- "The Ones Who Walked away from Omelas"
- Reading questions for "The Ones Who Walked Away from Omelas"
- "On the Move"
- Sample Reviews/Analysis of Gattaca(read instead of the Juno analysis)
- Is General Education a Waste? Arguments for Debate (read instead of The Republic of Imagination excerpt)
- Is College Worth it? Arguments for Debate (read instead of The Honor Code excerpt)
- "N-Words" (story to be used for the assessment on Nov 17)
Readings for Rhetorical Analysis Assignment
- People for Sale (essay for The Utne Reader)
- Angelina Jolie on the Refugee Crisis (Op-ed NYTimes)
- Why I became a teacher: to show students how the world really works (Op-ed for The Guardian)
- The young must lead on climate change (Op-ed, Salt Lake Tribune)
- On Solving Environmental Racism in West Oakland (Op-ed in SF Chronicle)
- The Case for Divestment [in Fossil Fuels] at Cornell (Op-ed, Cornell website)
- “Why young people are key to tackling climate change” (Op-ed in American Prospect)
- Putting Art in STEM (Op-ed NYTimes)
- Why America’s obsession with STEM education is dangerous (Op-ed, Washington Post)
- Why Right-Brain People will Rule the World (Op-ed, Huffington Post)
- “Why Business Leaders Should Trumpet the Arts” (Op-ed for The Pacific Coast Business Times)
- "Wal-Mart Turning Green" op-ed
- On Environmental Racism in West Oakland
- "Critical thinking Creativity: The Skills Workers Really Need"
- "Lemonade to Fight Child Slavery"
- interview with Azar Nafisi, author of The Republic of Imagination
- "The Woman Who Plants Peace" profile of Wangari Maathai
- Dan Price and the 70K minimum wage
- Dan Price and the Backlash
- Context Articles and Op-ed Pieces for "N-Words"
- Film Review for Psychologists: "Why We Love Juno"
- Book Review of Death of a Prof