San Jose State University ::
Faculty & Staff Web Pages: Karen A. English's Home Page
English, Karen A.
Publications & Presentations
- Karen English. "Emerson, Italy, and Aesthetics of the Street
," Conversazioni in Italia: Emerson, Hawthorne, and Poe.
Florence, Italy: Emerson, Poe, and Hawthorne Societies, (June 2012).
- Karen English. "A Conversation on Louisa May Alcott: The Woman Behind Little Women by Harriet Reisen
," All About Louisa May Alcott.
San Jose, CA: Martin Luther King, Jr. Library, (September 2011).
- Karen English. "Women, War, and Nursing: L.M. Alcott's 'Hospital Sketches' (1863)
San Jose, CA: Martin Luther King, Jr. Library, (October 2011).
- Karen English. "Nathaniel Hawthorne as Bronson Alcott's Coy Maiden
Concord, MA: Nathaniel Hawthorne Society, (June 2010).
- Karen English. "Emerson's Proxy: Mark Salzman and 'True Notebooks'
San Francisco, CA: American Literature Association, (May 2010).
- Karen English. "Bronson Alcott
," Literary Encyclopedia.
http://www.litencyc.com: Literary Encyclopedia, (February 2009).
- A. Bronson Alcott, edited by Karen English. "Notes of Conversations, 1848-1875
Cranbury, NJ: Fairleigh Dickinson UP, 2007, (June 2007).
- Eds. Peter Kopecky, et al. "Acknowledgement and Wreaths: Teaching Early American Women Writers
," Considering America from Inside and Out: A San Jose/Ostrava Dialogue Sharing Perspectives.
Ostrava, Czech Republic: Ostrava UP, (2006). pp.23-38.
- Karen English. "The Infinite Present: An Emersonian Reading of Ross McElwee's 'Time Indefinite'
," Comparative Literature Association.
Columbia, SC, (February 2005).
- Karen English. "Talking and Self-Culture: Bronson Alcott and the Phenomenon of Parlor Conversations
," California American Studies Association.
Sacramento, CA, (April 2003).
- Karen English. "Genuine Transcripts of Private Experience: Margaret Fuller and Translation
," American Transcendentalist Quarterly.
(January 2001). pp.131-147.
- Karen English. "Genuine Transcripts of Private Experience: Margaret Fuller's Translations of Eckermann's 'Conversations with Goethe' and 'The Correspondence of Fraulein Gunderode with Bettine von Arnim'
Portland, Or, (November 1999).
- Karen English. "Transformed by Frontier Cultures: Martha Summerhayes's 'Vanished Arizona'
," Western Literature Association.
Albuquerque, NM, (October 1997).
- Karen English. "American Autobiography: Creating a Senior Seminar in the Humanities
Irvine, CA, (November 1996).
- Karen English. "He said; she said: Two Accounts of a Conversation Between Margaret Fuller and Ralph Waldo Emerson, 1842
Santa Barbara, CA, (November 1995).
- Karen English. "An Audience of Friends: Margaret Fuller's 'Summer on the Lakes, in 1843'
San Francisco, CA, (November 1994).