Publications & Presentations
Barrera, Magdalena L.
Publications & Presentations
- "Snapshots: Case Studies in Action: Ana Castillo." Latina/o Literature in the Classroom: 21st Century Approaches to Teaching. Ed. Frederick Aldama. New York: Routledge Press, 2015.
- "School Smarts: A Reflection of Pedagogical and Personal Insights," Journal of Latinos and Education 13:3 (June 2014): 212-221.
- "Domestic Dramas: Mexican Music as an Archives of Women's Experiences, 1920-1950," Aztlan: A Journal of Chicano Studies 37:1 (Spring 2012): 7-35.
- "Of Chicharrones and Clam Chowder: Gender and Consumption in Jorge Ulica's Cronicas Diabolicas," Bilingual Review XXIX:1 (January - April 2008-2009): 49-65.
- "Hottentot 2000: Jennifer Lopez and Her Butt," Sexualities in History: A Reader, ed. Kim M. Phillips and Barry Reay, London: Routledge Press, 2001.
- A World Not to Come: A History of Latino Writing and Print Culture, by Raul Coronado, Aztlan: A Journal of Chicano Studies 39:2 (Fall 2014): 201-205.
- Smeltertown: Making and Remembering a Southwest Border Community, by Monica Perales, Women's Studies 40:8 (November 2011): 116-1119.
- Dangerous Curves: Latina Bodies in the Media, by Isabel Molina Guzman, Revista Camino Real 2:3 (2010): 182-184.
- "Contrapuntal Collaborators: Spanish Speaking People in the Photography of Russell Lee," American Studies Association Conference, Baltimore, MD, October 2011.
- “Flowers from Señorita's Garden: Mexican Immigrants, Homemaking and Citizenship in the 1920s," Changing Face of America Conference on Immigration and Social Policy, San Jose State Collegeof Social Science and the Silicon Valley Center for Global Innovation and Immigration, San Jose, CA, October 2010.
- “You Must Be Latin Rockers: Astra Heights and the Redefinition of Chicano Rock," National Association for Chicana/o Studies, Seattle, WA, April 2010.
- “Visions and Voices: Finding Mexican Girls in Americanization Manuals of the 1920s," Western Historical Association Conference, Denver, CO, October 2009.
- "The Case of the Mendoza Refugee: Misreading/Misleading Mexican Photographs," National Association for Chicana/o Studies Conference, New Brunswick, NJ, April 2009.
Invited Lectures and Talks
- September 2013. Panelist, “Academic Job Options and Assessing Fit,” Future Faculty Seminar, Stanford University.
- Panelist, "Politics of Pedagogy," Introduction to the Humanities Fellowship Alumni Colloquium: Teaching Humanities for the 21st Century, Stanford University, September 2011.
- Lecture on Music as a Window into Mexican American History for "Introduction to Chicana/o Studies Course," Center for Comparative Studies of Race and Ethnicity, Stanford University, April 2011.
- Panelist, "Latina/os in Academia," El Centro Chicano, Stanford University, November 2010.
- Panelist, "Knowing Our Diverse Students Better," College of Engineering, San Jose State University, November 2010.
- Facilitator, "Faculty Toolkit for Engaging Campus Diversity," Faculty Workshop for MUSE and First-Year Experience Instructors, April 2010.
- Panelist on Humanities Teaching Pathways, Center for Teaching and Learning, Stanford University, February 2010.
- Panelist, "Transitioning from Grad Student to Faculty Member," Mellon-Mays Undergraduate Fellowship West Coast Conference, Stanford University, October 2009.
- Panelist, "Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about College, But Were Afraid to Ask," CME Society, San Jose State University, September 2009.
- “Transitioning from Graduate Student to Full-Time Professor," Modern Thought and Literature Program, Stanford University, May 2009.
- Facilitator, Q&A with writer Ana Castillo, Center for Literary Arts, San Jose State University, October 2008.