CCS 185 - Teaching in a Diverse Society
Time: Spring 2020 - W 3-5:45pm
This course helps future teachers develop advanced racial literacy and learn culturally sustaining and emancipatory approaches to schooling, mentoring, counseling and youth engagment.
Here is the syllabus and class readings.
Syllabus & Required Readings
- Syllabus - 2/6 [PDF]
- Django Paris & H. Samy Alim (2017), Culturally Sustaining Pedagogies: Teaching and Learning for Justice in a Changing World.
- Week 2: Freire (Chapter 2) [PDF]
- Week 3: Valencia & Black Reading [PDF]
- Week 4: Valenzuela Reading [PDF]
- Week 7: Yosso Reading [PDF]
- Week 8: Romero, Arce, and Cammarota Reading [PDF]
- Week 9: Camangian Reading [PDF]
- Week 10: Cuevas Reading [PDF]
- Week 11: Ginwright [PDF]
- James Baldwin Video, excerpt from "I Am Not Your Negro" [full documentary is available on Amazon Prime]
- Yerba Buena High School on-line Paper, "The Warrior Times" [advisor: Mike Tinoco]
- Separate and Still Unequal by Janie Boschma - 3/1/2016
- "A Girl Like Me" Documentary by Kiri Davis [longer version with extra interviews]
These are links students have sent me related to issues that have come up in our work this semester.
- Zoom Link to Office Hours, Mondays 1-3pm [email me to pick a time if possible]