Top Difficulties in Solving OEP
Top cognitive difficulties
- Applying first principles in the solution of problems.
- Integrating knowledge from the entire course / more than one course.
- Reflecting on the problem solving process.
- Self-assessment of their problem solving skills.
- Defining a problem in engineering terms.
- Selecting a valid model for a problem (making appropriate assumptions).
- Following the PSM in its entirety.
Top affective (behavioral) difficulties
- Unwillingness to spend sufficient time on task.
- Reluctance to write down ideas and create sketches while solving a problem.
- Dealing with ambiguity and uncertainty (lack of confidence).
- Working effectively in teams (coordinating meetings outside of class, dysfunctional
teams, and agreeing on an approach to solve each problem).