From students to students: How to Succeed when Solving OEP
On Time Management:
- Start working on each problem early; don’t try to do it all in one day! o Give yourself
time to study, understand, and visualize each problem.
On the PSM:
- Follow the PSM and you will do just fine.
- It helps a great deal in seeing what you have and where you need to go”
- Think about the problem holistically, sketch and research before attempting any calculations.
- First tackle problems in a way that makes sense to you, then follow the PSM to organize
- Work with your team.
- Find teammates you can work with.
- Don’t be afraid to argue with your teammates but also listen to your teammates and
be open to their views.
- Different minds bring different ideas and knowledge to the table.
On Asking for Help:
- Talk to the instructor about the problem.
- Ask for as much help as possible.
- Try to solve the problem by yourself first, without talking to anyone. Ask for help
only when you can’t figure out something.
On Being Flexible:
- Keep an open mind and explore different approaches.