Lecturer, Health Science & Recreation
- Bachelor of Arts, Child Development, CSU-San Jose, California, United States, 1993
- Master of Science, Recreation Administration, CSU-San Jose, California, United States, 1995
Philly Toney, an SJSU alumni and fellow Spartan, earned her B.A. in Child Development and her M.S. in Recreation Management. A faculty member since 2001, she has taught a variety of courses:
- RECL 10: Creating a Meaningful Life
- RECL 90: Foundations of Parks, Recreation & Tourism
- RECL 97: Event Planning
- RECL 100w: Writing Workshop
- RECL 110: Leisure, Life, and Contemporary Society
- RECL 143: Festivals and Community Special Events
- RECL 153: Youth Development
- RECL 156: Sustainable Travel & Tourism
- RECL 157: Sustainable Recreation and Ecotourism
Philly has a passion for teaching, brings a sense of fun into the classroom, and strongly believes in the philosophy of learning through play. In addition to teaching, Philly is the club advisor for the Recreation Management Association.
Philly loves adventure recreation, travel, reading, and the outdoors. She spends part of her summer volunteering at a non-profit: CYO Camp, a residential summer camp located in Northern California.