PHYS 120S Lab - Advanced Physics Lab - Solid State Physics
"Experiment is the sole judge of scientific 'truth'" - Richard Feynman
This course is an upper division lab with some focus on solid state physics. The goal is to learn how to construct and perform experiment, and properly draw meaningful conclusion. Prerequisite phys 110. Corequisite: phys 163, 175 and 120A are recommended.
More Class Information.
Experiments might vary from time to time. They included:
- Cavity Resonators and Complex Permittivity
- Noise Characteristic and Spectrum
- Lock-in Technique and Faraday Rotation
- Hall Effect
- SQUID (Superconducting Quantum Interference Devices)
- Diode I-V characteristics
- Magnetic properties of solids, ferromagnetism, paramagnetism and diamagnetism (tentative)
- Thermal Properties (TBA)